1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

mirrorless v slr

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Triggertrevor, Nov 28, 2013.

1. Triggertrevor

Triggertrevor Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi everyone I'd like to ask the question as to which would shoot sharper cleaner pictures. ?

I have a*Panasonic G5*with the*Panasonic*35-100 2.8*telephoto lens*and I've just bought a D7000 with a*sigma 70-200*2.8 hsm ll lens.*
    Now I was doing a little testing over the weekend taking the same pictures with the same settings on both cameras and after zooming in to take a look I found the G5 & 35-100 a lot cleaner and less noisy. !!

Is this normal as I thought the D7000 was good at dealing with noise.*Could it be because the lens on the G5 is shorter and may have less elements or?*

Help me out as I'm confused.*

Thanks again Kev

2. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    given the literally millions of shooting/rendering setting combinations in the cameras that can impact on the output, and the use of different lenses which can certainly impact clarity and sharpness, it's next to impossible to produce images for objective comparisions of this nature.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Are you looking at JPEGs? The Nikon may be favoring detail over noise reduction and the Panasonic vice versa.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I shoot both. Mirrorless cameras are pretty darn good in good lighting and give the lower end DSLRs a run for their money.

5. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Just to be clear: DSLRs have no, zero, zip, nada inherent benefits for image quality over mirrorless, nor does mirrorless over DSLRs*. The sensor size, generation and design in each is what provides the difference. Your real question is whether a recent (not current, but not old) generation APS-C sensor produced by Sony has better image quality versus a similar generation 4/3 sensor. An A7R is also "mirrorless" and will likely have better image quality that just about any DSLR, including full frame ones (e.g., D800, 5D MkIII, etc.) Likewise, an E-300 is a DSLR that would fall well behind any recent mirrorless camera.

Sorry, too often I see "mirrorless" and "DSLR" confused with a particular sensor format.

* Actually, one could argue that the shock caused by the mirror flip-flop in a DSLR means that mirrorless does have an inherent advantage.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    From what the OP described, I'd put my money on the G5 and 35-100, combo being superior to the D7000 and Sigma 70-200. If it was a D7000 and 70-200 VR II then it would be a different story. Not to say the D7000 is bad, but considering the Sigma is 3rd party, all sorts of issues could be factored in such as focus calibration or just being crummy glass. While I like Sigma's mirrorless lens offering, I still consider their DSLR lenses suspect.

7. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    I believe the G5 has a tweaked version of the GH2 sensor with the multi aspect disabled, not the newer Sony sensor.

My money is on either jpeg settings or magic pixie dust but I'd like to see the shot in question first.

Gordon

8. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi cheers for your reply,yeah i'm shooting jpeg as I'm shooting uk football

Cheers kev.

9. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi johnathan cheers for your reply.
    I was thinking about getting the vr1 instead of the sigma but I didn't.
    I'm only using the dslr setup just for shooting uk football as I find the g5 35-100 combo a bit hit and miss.
    But at the moment I'm dissapointed with the d7000 sigma setup.

Cheers kev

10. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi Gordon I'll post some pics up as soon as I get chance.

Cheers kev

11. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I've got the Canon mount version of the Sigma 70-200, and while I feel it's a great lens for what it is, it's certainly not as sharp as my m43 setup. I've not noticed a major difference in noise, but the sharpness thing is painfully obvious. Of course, it helps that I also shoot with the 45mm and 75mm. Now, I can certainly get some sharp images with my dSLR- but it requires stopping down, or using a tripod, or controlling lighting well, or a combination of any of these. With m43 it's just much easier to nail a sharp image.

I'm sure many people have seen what m43 can do and have been impressed (probably most here!), but I have a feeling that your d7000 is also capable of some better images. Certainly the Sigma lens isn't as good as the Nikon version, but it also could be the copy you have is just less sharp than others. I think the more troubling thing for me would be the noise- because the d7000 is supposed to be pretty good (at least compared to other aps-c sensor cameras). Have you been able to compare other lenses on your d7000 to your m43 setup?

12. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    No I've only got the sigma lens as I've 5 lenes for my G5 but I only bought the d7000 for sports.
    I have. Friend who has a Nikon but his lenes are all voigLander but I suppose I could try those.

Cheers

13. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    Arkansas
    Chris
    I completely understand about the sports angle. It's one of the reasons I held on to some of my Canon gear. I'm hoping one of these days m43 is there, but for now, I'm happy using both systems. With that said, I mainly use m43. Another thing that's great about m43 over dSLRs is lens cost vs quality. Yes, there are some pretty expensive lenses, but I think compared to what you get, they are such a good deal. I've not made a m43 lens purchase yet I've regretted, and I certainly can't say that about my dSLR setup. Thank God for places like forums and camera stores that you can sell used gear!

14. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    I found mirrorless pics not necessarily cleaner, but definitely sharper most of the time because CDAF gives more accurate focus over PDAF, and the smaller sensor (m43 over APS-C) is more forgiving if you happen to miss the subject by a little.

15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Very simple answer ..photographer will shoot the sharper pictures and not the camera .
    Cheers

16. nakedandruss

nakedandruss New to Mu-43

Nov 28, 2013
    The advantage of the mirrorless is the small size, it won't be able to replace the abilities of the SLRs - atleast not yet!

17. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    It should be easy enough to put both on a tripod and shoot a static scene at similar focal lengths. Or you could just use the dpreview comparison tool.

I found my D7000 to have about a 1-1/2 stop advantage to my G5 in raw. Couldn't really compare the jpegs as Panasonic applies a lot of NR and sharpening and the Nikon does the opposite.

18. Triggertrevor

Jun 30, 2013
    Hi yakky that could be it as I only shoot jpeg at the moment, if the g5 does a lot in camera and the d7000 doesn't.
    Today I've been looking over some of the shots I took over the weekend with the d7000 and compared them to the ones I took the weekend before with the g5 under simular conditions and at similar focal lengths the noise isn't bad really it seems to be the out of focus background that's a little mesh on the sigma where the 35-100 seems to be cleaner. .
    If all that makes sense.

Cheers everybody for all your imput.

Kev

19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    This ;
    As ISO/Noise rises my G3 (not got G5) applies quite a bit of NR smoothing to disguise the noise, but at lower ISO I like the Jpegs,
    certainly nicer than default Jpegs from my friend's D7000 which seem a bit ... "meh" and I suspect aren't sharpened enough for my taste.
    The RAWs are superior in noise levels across the board ... but if Jpegs are your thing I couldn't recommend a D7000 over m4/3rds with a quick-focusing bright lens.
    I'm sure the OP having the best current m4/3rds longish zoom helps!

20. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    I believe you would be better served by shooting/comparing raw files and by spending a reasonable amount of time shooting with both set-ups if either/both are new to you. Comparing jpeg files means that you are not really comparing the sensors as much as the processing engines, and these can be tuned in more ways then you can imagine.

Good luck,

--Ken