1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mirrorless, Panasonic are big in Taiwan

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by dhazeghi, Jun 11, 2012.

1. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Via Thom Hogan, according to Panasonic, 54% of interchangeable lens cameras sold in Taiwan are mirrorless. That's even higher than Japan (43%).

Panasonic also claims now to be the largest vendor for IL cameras in Taiwan (25% overall, or nearly half of mirrorless sales). Guess we know where all those GF3s and GF5s are going (not to mention 25/1.4s and 20/1.7s)!

DH

2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    They can keep buying up those GF3s as long as they also keep offering up the 14mm f2.5 prime separated from the kit box for $160 on ebay!

• Like Like x 3
  3. TDP

TDP Guest

I live in Taipei. Lenses, bodies, batteries.....it is all here in every store.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :2thumbs: +1 Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside to see that great lens priced so low.

5. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Too bad they didn't continue bundling the 20mm (beyond the gf1), maybe it would be a little more aggressively priced by now too!

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I'm just starting to see more MFT cameras here in the US. Also, people at the park, kids' gatherings, etc, are asking me more about my cameras (OM-D and GF3) and seem to be more aware that this class of cameras exists. Not to mention that my brother, who once asked me if Olympus was "ghetto" :rofl: is now a happy OM-D owner (as well as Canon and Leica), and my dad picked up an OM-D as well.

Here in the US we're distinctly behind Europe in adoption, but I'm expecting a real surge before too long.

• Like Like x 1
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've seen more NEX units in my small sector of the USA than I've seen MFT....

8. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I do see Nex and Nikon 1s in retail more, but I really don't see any CSCs in the wild here in Minnesota US. It is all compacts or big iron (DSLRs). Maybe I need to start hanging out with cooler people.

9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I've lost track of how many times that I've been in a Target or Best Buy when someone comes up asking about the Nikon camera in the Ashton Kutcher commercial....

Like Ashton or hate him....like the Nikon 1 or hate it....One thing is certain, one can't argue against Nikon's savy marketing. This is what MFT needs (IMHO)....

On a side note, the latest BCN camera sales data in Japan list the Nikon 1 J1 as the #5 seller...
    --> DSLR Cameras Top Sales Ranking - DSLR Photography News & Reviews

10. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    Is Taiwan a significant market? I've been once for a trade show, it's a small country and most of it is agricultural, it can't have that big a population. Or are they all buying several cameras each, or are there plenty of sales in Taiwan making their way out of the country? Or maybe they're seen as trend setters and the rest of the world will follow.
    I'm not saying it's not significant, just wondering why it's newsworthy.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Because it indicates that mirrorless popularity is beyond the home market of Japan. Taiwan has a lot of similarities to parts of China and southeast Asia (as a camera market), which bodes well for the future of m4/3 growth.

Also, I don't know where you get the idea that Taiwan is a small, agricultural country as they've been predominantly industrial since the 1970s and they're now the 19th largest economy in the world in terms of purchasing power.

DH

12. p.h

p.h Mu-43 Regular

Apr 5, 2012
    That's interesting about it's purchasing power.
    However, it is small and only a third of it is industrial. I found this out by being there, though there are other ways.

13. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Most of it's land might be agricultural, but I doubt that is true of Taiwan's economy.

Anyways, I'm ok with the slow adoption rate in the U.S., I like being the cool guy with the camera that's not a Canon/Nikon. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Kristi
    But, the good thing about Nikon marketing is that it brings others to µ4/3. I saw the Nikon 1 adverts, and started looking at reviews, which got me to µ4/3. Bought a G3. I might have ended with a dSLR were it not for Ashton.:rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. TDP

TDP Guest

Taiwan, 2011's numbers:

GDP - composition by sector:
    agriculture: 1.3%

I'm not sure where he is getting his information. I've been here over 4 years. This place manufactures and exports electronics, machinery and petrochemicals.

Of the 23 million plus people on this island, most everybody seems to have a camera that is above a point and shoot. In Taipei City west of Landmark Building (near main station) there is a 3 or 4 block area where almost every store is a camera store (Po Ai street area). That is a LOT of camera stores, and that is just in one particular area. There is even a high end Leica store, you know the kind that keeps the front door locked and the guard has to buzz you in. That place seems empty every time I walk by.

On the street you see people using Canon and Sony DSLRs, Oly Pana and Sony mirror less. There is next to no crime here so no one seems to worry about camera bags or even just wearing their m43 camera around their neck almost as a fashion statement. I notice a LOT more cameras "out" on the street here than I do when I go to Tokyo.

16. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Adding to what other noted about Taiwan, East Asia altogether also consist of three international hub: Hong Kong, Singapore, and Taiwan. This hub connect most of east Asia to rest of the world. Not only they function as people mobility hub but also as product distribution node. I bet most of camera and photographic equipment distributed through the three hub. Taiwan being one of semiconductor and plastic engineering power in the world (tough some of the factory operate in Mainland China) play important role in modern photography industry.

Last year when I attend an International design conference in Taipei, with the participant from all over the world. I see most of visitor (with Taiwanese being the most) carry mirrorless camera everywhere and lot's of them use Panasonic GF series. Some also use Olympus PEN and Sony NEX. DSLR being a minority only used by news and official photographer. There should be a restriction for using camera in exhibition but I think it only apply for DSLR as mirrorless and phone camera considered for personal use only. Back then I still carry my trusted EPL-1.

I also manage to visit some mall and big store such as carefour (equal to Cotsco or Target) as it's a good indication for what type of camera that popular among common people. If it's being displayed and sell in non-specific photography store like that. The EPM-1 which just launch back then is already displayed. In comparison when I go to US and shopping at Cotsco in 2010, I only see Canon DSLR. Unfortunately I don't have a time to go to photography center near the Railway Station in Taipei to conduct further inquiry.

But despite the mirrorless popularity in Asia, none of m4/3 producer use aggressive price policy or significant bonus to lure more consumer to buy m4/3 (beside Japan). Unlike what I experienced in US. Of course being near the center of camera distribution we never experience the scarce of supply. We only need about 1-2 weeks waiting time for OM-D...:)

17. rcky

rcky Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2011
    Washington state
    Just curious; is m4/3 gear cheaper in Taiwan compared to the US?
    I'll be in TPE for a couple of days in the near future.

18. m43man

m43man Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    Vancouver
    Thanks for posting this info on camera shopping in Taipei. I'll be in Taipei for a few days starting tomorrow attempting to do some camera shopping there for the first time.

But can anyone familiar with Taipei give more details on this "Po Ai Street area"? I tried looking for it on Apple Maps (which sucks by the way) but nothing shows up. Also does this "main station" have a name?

Thanks in advance.

19. atom

atom Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    No idea what the stats are, but to my eye, Canon/Nikon are still dominating here in Korea. I don't consume much Korean media, but you see lots of DSLR ad's on buses and I've only once see an OM-D ad and never anything for Panasonic. I also see more NEX's than m4/3's.

20. magkelly

magkelly Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    I've seen the Nikon M43 stuff at Target but not much else here as yet. Most people really don't know what I've got. Because of the way the Oly looks they just think I'm lugging around an older pocket digital cam of some sort and I'm encouraging that view as crime is up a lot and I don't want them to realize that what I've got on me is actually a lot more than it is. I totally blinged out my Oly actually so that people would not take it too seriously. I get way too much attention of the wrong kind when I take the DSLR out and I want just the opposite to happen with the M/43 camera. When it does I smile.

I had some guy at the library actually make a derisive comment that he was surprised to see that I'm even still using such an old digi cam and wasn't it too cute with all those crystals my little "girlie" camera. He just about made my day and he just about choked when I dryly told him it was actually a 16MP micro 4/3 cam, that I was a professional photographer, and that while my Oly was my "toy" camera it could nearly take the same quality of pics as my DSLR. He had absolutely no idea of what I had at all. He dismissed the camera, dismissed me, and he couldn't have been more wrong on either count.

One of the reasons I chose this M43 camera was because it doesn't really look all that obviously like anything anyone would want to steal. With a pancake lens on it no one looks twice except to smile at my crystals. They just do what that guy did, assume I have some girly old pocket cam and that suits me just fine. I suppose as they become more common that will pass but for now it's an advantage, definitely....