Mirrorless Nikon 1 Debuts

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Canonista, Sep 21, 2011.

1. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    So it has a 2.8x crop factor? or 2.4x? Edit: It is 2.7x, if you're wondering.

Either way, that means worse IQ than m43.
  2. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    *gasp* its possible to have a vf in the center without making it look like a mini-dslr!

*in before "but-it-has-no-articulating-screen" comments*
  3. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    Some more thoughts:

That pop up flash looks really cool.

Prices are $700 and $1000 (in Japan). That's way too high.

The Superzoom lens is really big. I'm pretty sure it has more volume than the two kit lenses combined. It is also extremely expensive at $800 or so.

The pancake is only F2.8, which isn't that special.

Really, the killer feature here is the F-mount adapter, but it isn't cheap at $200, and with that super high crop factor it will only be useful for telephoto. I bet it will expose a lot of flaws in a lot of lenses, and the whole system is probably going to be very imbalanced in terms of camera/lens weight ratio.

Edit: Oh, looks like the crop factor is actually 2.7x.
  4. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    The new Nikon 1 system is a completely original concept...

Well actually...
  5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    YEARS ago.....before many of you knew what a camera was, Nikon made good looking cameras. This is CERTAINLY not one of them.

If they are going to use a smaller form with a smaller sensor, isn't the only way ahead to make a better looking camera? I'm no rocket scientist, and I know there are a few variables, but basically sensor size determines picture quality, right? If we never wanted to carry our cameras around, we'd all have large format BIG rigs. And if quality were the ONLY thing that mattered, we wouldn't shoot with camera phones (or pocket cameras). But most of have needs somewhere in between.

This camera has no need to exist...not very compact and quite likely not very good. Maybe it doesn't matter. maybe it's good ENOUGH to keep Nikon DSLR owners from trying m4/3 cams?! Because really if they wanted great photos.....
  6. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    Looks like a beefy Coolpix p&s.

On the plus side, they sure know how to market. Its got more superfluous accessories for one camera, than all of MFT combined. Could be a cash cow lifestyle product just because it is "nikon".

Cue more ashton kutcher commercials.
  7. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    The camera comes in 2 flavors: V1 and J1

Basics specs for V1 model:

JPY104,000 = $1,373 at current exchange rates
    Built-in EVF (resolution = 1,440,000; same as VF2)
    Kit lens = 27mm (in 35mm format equivalent); f/2.8
    Sensor = 10.1 MP CMOS; 13.2×8.8mm (Nikon CX format)
    AF = contrast detection; 135 AF points (?!)
    Max shutter speed = 1/16K
    Built-in Flash = None

J1 model:

JPY69,800 = $915
    Kit lens = 27-81mm (in 35mm format equivalent); f/3.5-5.6 w/ VR image stabilization
    Built-in Flash = Yes

Additional Native Lenses:
    10-100mm, f/4.5-5.6 (27-270mm 35mm equivalent); JPY84.7K = $1,110
    powerzoom with VR image stabilization

30-110mm, f/3.8-5.6 (81-297mm 35mm equivalent); JPY26.7K = $350
    VR image stabilization
  8. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It puzzles me why competitors in the mirrorless segment seem determined NOT to compete directly with each other: M4/3, Sony NEX, Pentax Q, Nikon 1. Are they each taking a bet on the optimum sensor size?
  9. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

I like the look of it and will be interested to see how the image quality stacks up against micro 4/3.
    How many megapixels does the body have?
  10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I want one! I think my Nikkon 85 1.4 G will be a sweet telephoto lens on these cameras! :wink:
  11. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
  12. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    "Why make a small-sensor mirrorless camera? From our perspective, it would appear to make a lot of sense (for the company). A lot of Nikon's recent success comes from its DSLR business. It also has a great many customers with significant investments in its F-mount system, who are unlikely to appreciate any sign that Nikon is anything less that 100% committed to the F-mount for high-end photography. It doesn't make sense for Nikon to do anything that might jeopardize its DSLR sales...." from DPReview Article

[BEGIN rant]

This is why Nikon, and probably Canon, will lose the serious amateur segment of the market to m43 cameras. They can't afford to disrupt their p&s or entry-level DSLR segments, so they're forced to introduce a compromised design that's neither fish nor fowl. They'll keep the p&s segment to cater to soccer moms, and the pro segment with high-end DSLRs, but the middle segment is gone, kaput, fini!

Other than current Nikon DSLR owners, who can benefit from having a backup compact that can mount their DLSR lenses, who else would opt for this camera? Had this been a Canon, I probably wouldn't bother with getting one even if all of my EF lenses can be adapted to fit the camera. They fail to understand that the primary reason we flock to m43 is for the smaller size and lighter weight. I'm not interested in mounting my 100-400L lens to a compact camera body.

Speaking of Canon, what are they thinking? Last I heard, they are still conducting consumer surveys to gauge interest in mirrorless cameras. It'll be a long while before they have prototype cameras out in the field, never mind one that consumers could buy. In the meantime, customers like me are flocking to other brands, and more importantly to other lens mounts. If they think I am going to switch formats after investing in m43 lenses, they think wrong. I'm now an Olympus user.

[END rant]

Still, competition is a good thing. It will cause prices on m43 gear to fall over the long-term, and force camera and 3d party lens makers to offer more m43 lens options.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I didn't buy that article at all. If Nikon won't cannabilise their own DSLR sales...someone else will (and let's face it, already is).

1-2 years ago I would have handed over my money for a Canon APS-C mirrorless. Now, I don't know...
  14. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    According to the release in HK, the new cameras have Hybrid AF (contrast + phase detection), and 10 fps capabilities. Unlike the Pentax Q, at least Nikon is bringing something new to the table...
  15. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 26, 2010
    I've been thinking about nikons small sensor thingy and it unfortunately does actually make sense.

1) if you care about image quality the most, to a nit picking detail, you're not going to buy a m4/3 because quality will trump size, you'll probably buy a medium format, or full frame, or at least one of the steroid injected sony sensor aps-c cameras - like from nikon or sony.

2) if you care about size but want something useful unlike camera phones... then you'd notice the smallest reasonable cameras are the Q or the new Nikons...

most people on here own 2 cameras (or more... you know who you are). If you buy a m43, what's your second camera going to be? an aps-c? it's only slightly different, a nikon-mini? that's also only slightly different. It would however make sense to say buy a full frame nikon & a nikon-mini, or a full frame sony and the pentax q... you'd then have 2 cameras with distinct strengths and uses.

Right now my second camera is a p&s so that gap makes sense, but it's only a couple of years before a phone will do exactly the same IQ as my p&s camera...
  16. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    1.4M dot EVF in that space. Wake up, Oly!
    In theory I agree with you. I love the idea of the 2.7x sensor and I wish my PM1 was smaller with a lens mounted. But in practice... is the camera any good? Are the lenses any good? What's the lens roadmap? Lots to learn still...

Also, what on earth were they thinking with the design? Did the man only have a ruler?
  17. apicius9

apicius9 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I had kept an eye on the rumors about these for the past year or longer. Not enthusiastic about what I am seeing, but I will get weak when a) they work reasonably well with adapted lenses - maybe I should hold on to my smaller c-mount lenses for a little longer, and b) the price comes down into a reasonable range.

• Like Like x 1