Mirrorless market share trends

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
This graph which purports to show market share by brand in the mirrorless space was posted a few days ago by FujiRumors:

Mirrorless-Market-Share-573x720.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Obviously, the trend lines over the last three quarters of 2020 for both Olympus and Panasonic are worrying. If you extrapolate those numbers forward, both companies would be close to zero share by now. That said, neither company released any "breakthrough" cameras during this period, so perhaps that has something to do with it.

I'm not sure what one can glean from market share data, but I figured these numbers might be interesting to some folks here. I'm not trying to reignite the tired debate about which brand or system is "best". Unfortunately, the source of this information is a Financial Times article that sits behind a paywall, so I don't have any other context or details to share.

- K

doady

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Market share, or production share?

I hesitate to make any definite conclusions about market trends based purely on production numbers, and from one year only without comparing to previous years, especially considering the other things that happened around the world during that particular year.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Market share, or production share?

I hesitate to make any definite conclusions about market trends based purely on production numbers, and from one year only without comparing to previous years, especially considering the other things that happened around the world during that particular year.
In the modern world of "lean" production, I'm guessing the distinction between "production share" and "market share" shouldn't be too large. If units start stacking up in warehouses production should get adjusted pretty quickly.

And yes, the last three quarters of 2020 were certainly an atypical time, but the same conditions applied for all the players in this market. And any decline in total production wouldn't be reflected in these charts.

- K

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom