Mirrorless Market Share numbers - 2013

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by robbie36, Dec 28, 2013.

1. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Apologies - this is pretty much a cross post from DPreview but the numbers are quite interesting so I thought you would like to see them.

BCNranking has released the market share data for mirrorless cameras in 2013. A bit early you say? Yes well the data only goes up to the 23rd December. BCNranking is pretty accurate as it covers over 50% of retail sales. Note this is data for Japan only - obviously the US data will be different.

Amongst the individual camera market share...

1) The big winners are Nex 5R (well it came first), EOS-M came second and up from 2% last year

2) The big losers are Nikon J1 - winner last yea, Panasonic GF3/5 combined sales 13.5% last year

3) Yes the Olympus EPL and EPM are insanely popular but then again they were insanely popular in 2012 as well.

The market share figures for the individual brands

Olympus 29.1

Sony 26.1

Panasonic 14.2

Ricoh 9.8

Nikon 9.34

Canon 9.25

By a process of elimination that places Fuji at 1.9% (BCNranking doesnt compile numbers for Leica and Samsung). It should be noted that the Fuji X100 series is not included in mirrorless ILCs.

I only have the market share in 2012 for the top 3 brands at hand. Olympus is slightly down from 29.8% in 2012 but retains its leadership position. The big winner is Sony up from 20.1% to 26.1% and the big loser is Panasonic a distant third at 14.2% compared to 23.3% last year.

From memory the big loser amongst the smaller manufacturers is Nikon down from 15% and the big winner is Canon up from 2%.

M43's market share is down from 53.8% in 2012 to 43.3%, reflecting the rise of Sony and fall of Panasonic - Panasonic was market leader 3 years ago.

Really nothing terribly surprising in the numbers. Perhaps what is interesting is what is not really in the numbers. The E-M5 is down in 17th but it only came 11th last year. There is no sign of the GH3 although no GH2/3 last year too. No E-P5 - goes to show what happens if you produce a good camera and then totally misprice it.
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I wonder how much money Canon made from selling all those EOS M kits for $300.
  3. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    That's what I thought too. Well, I thought 'how many sales from the EOS M fire sale'....

I also wondered how many kit sales vs body-only sales. But that is harder to know, since so many retailers buy kits and strip the lens and sell it on ebay. You buy 'body only' from them and what you get is a kit box with the lens missing, but the stats will show a kit sale.
  4. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Really what sells incredibly well in Japan is the lower end ILCs with a 'double kit' lens combination.

Kiss X5
    Nex F3N
    Canon EOSM
    Panny GF6

All offer this combination and all these combinations are in the top 20 best selling cameras. Prices range from 37,000 yen to 55,000 yen. The cheapest combinations are the E-PM2 and Nex F3N. Canon EOSM is roughly in the middle at 45,000 yen.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Although, I don't know how heavily the M was discounted in Japan (which is the only market these numbers cover).
  6. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Totally agree about the e-p5 pricing comment. At 30% lower, it would have sold like hot cakes.
  7. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

About what I figured except how well Canon did. Of coarse Canon has a big following and when they did the firmware update it resolved much of the poor AF issue.
  8. picturewow

picturewow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2013
    Any numbers on lens sales? Many people spent more money on lenses, than on the camera body. So those numbers are equally important.
  9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    I got some interesting feedback on how the market share numbers in Japan compare with the US.

Comparing those numbers against US retail numbers you get some curious things. Sony’s sales are close in percentage in both Japan and the US, which I would tend to interpret as they’re not favoring one market over another. Nikon went way backwards in Japan, forward in the US with the Nikon 1 (where it is #2 in mirrorless at about 20%). Olympus held their own in Japan and dropped precipitously in the US. Panasonic dropped in both countries, though dropped more in the US.

So in the US the market leader is Sony, followed by Nikon, then Olympus and Panasonic after that. The US numbers are quite surprising to me because I dont have any access to retail numbers. Nikon's success doesnt show up much because presumably it is mostly through the retail outlets rather than say Amazon. That Olympus is much lower doesnt surprise as its global market share is 17%, compared to 29% in Japan where is Pen line is phenomenally successful.
  10. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Another article:http://finance.yahoo.com/news/japan-mid-tier-camera-makers-211223339.html Excerpt: "But the [interchangeable mirrorless] format is yet to catch on in the United States and Europe, where shipments made up just 10.5 percent and 11.2 percent of all interchangeable camera shipments, respectively, and where consumers tend to equate image quality with size and heft."
  11. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    So, micro 43 is perceived as overpriced? Especially in the US? And when priced properly it sells?
  12. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    There is quite a lot in this if you ask me. I have always believed that camera purchases (for the majority of people) are very price sensitive.

What we see is that...
    1. Digital camera sales are dominated in volume terms by the low end of the market in both Japan and the US.
    2. Mirrorless cameras are pretty well priced in Japan. For instance twin lens kit with the EP-M2, Nex 3N or Canon EOS-M sells at a reasonable discount to a twins lens kit for the Canon Kiss x5 (T3i) or a twins lens kit with the Nikon D3200 - in the case of the EPM2 kit the discount is well over US$100.
    3. IMHO the problem in the US is not just related to pricing of the base models. I think that the US consumer 'values' a viewfinder far more than the Japanese consumer. None of the top selling mirrorless in Japan have a built in viewfinder. The problem in the US is even if a mirrorless is cheaper than Canikon - as it doesnt have a viewfinder - consumers believe it ought to be cheaper.
    4. Again we can see how sensitive camera purchases are to price in the type of models that sold best. In general, they are not the latest models but the models whose price has been reduced near the end of its product cycle. This is a problem for the manufacturers because if the consumer is buying on price rather than product innovation it means lower margins
    5. For those who believe that cameras arent price sensitive or that 'manufacturers sell them at the price that the market can bear' take a look at the E-P5 (insane price almost no sales) or the GH3 (priced at a considerable premium to the E-M5, sold very poorly).
  13. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Here are a couple of related articles from 43 rumors and mirrorless rumors.

I don't put a huge amount of credence into the notion that Olympus and the others will fail completely. They may have to reorganize or merge and for sure need to change how they do some things. They have already lessened or stopped production of entry level cameras which were not much better than the cameras built into smart devices. They are also making much better compacts often that fill some niche{for instance ruggedized/waterproof}. Then there is the Sony QX cameras. They aren't perfect but the concept is a good one.

One thing I think the camera companies ought to do is work with the phone makers. Image an iPhone with an interchangeable lens camera built in or at least one with a better sensor and true zoom lens. The other thing that they need to do is advertise better, at least in the USA. It does not have to be traditional advertising. Fuji has already figured this out and has ads on Hulu. I have also seen a few google type ads on webpages for Panasonic G series cameras. If they can also get into mainstream sellers like Walmart and Bestbuy then sales will go up here in the USA.