Mirrorless Lenses app on the iTunes App Store

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by jyap, May 25, 2011.

1. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey guys,

I'm a big fan of this forum and :43: cameras but I'm mostly in lurker mode.

I have been working on an App which just launched:
    Mirrorless Lenses for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Hope you guys like it and can give it a 5-Star rating :smile:

Here's the Description:
    The Mirrorless Lenses app allows you to browse the full range of mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC) lenses. It allows you to browse all the camera and lens manufacturers based on the lens mount. This includes Micro Four Thirds, Sony E, Samsung NX and Four Thirds Mount lenses.

This app allows you to add lenses to a Favorites page so you can keep an inventory of what lenses you own or which lenses you want to have on your wish list.

When you bring up the page for an individual lens, it shows you a picture of the lens as well details for the lens. Lens details include the type of lens, focal length, maximum and minimum apertures, filter size, dimensions and weight.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Now all I need is an iPod, iPad or iPhone ... :wink:
  3. SMaturin

SMaturin Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 30, 2011
    New York's Backyard
    Looks handy to have.

A few quick thoughts:
    -make it universal, so it looks good on ipad.
    -add a notes field for jotting personal thoughts.
    -add price comparisons across online vendors, instead of just the link to amazon.
    -links to online reviews, or a google search button for such?

A nice start.
  4. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Steve, thanks for the really great feedback, I really appreciate it! I wrote this app as a fan of photography so I will surely incorporate new feature suggestions. This is my first app so I'm eager to start improving on it.
  5. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

Downloaded, the app is "nice" and probably handy mainly for ppl who are starting with :43:. Thanks :smile:

But to tell the truth I would appreciate it a bit more, if it would be a database with commonly used adapted lens, with specs and sorting by mount, price range, use, size, etc... Maybe even with performance surveys from it's users :smile:
  6. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey John! Thanks for the feedback.

What do you mean by "commonly used adapted lens"? I tried to stick to native lenses otherwise you get too far down the track and start adding C-Mount lenses.

Sorting is a good idea. Price is difficult as price changes and is different from country to country. So the app would have surveys? Or are these performance surveys online somewhere?
  7. JohnMetsn

JohnMetsn Mu-43 Veteran

You're quick to response. Yes, you're right, that adapted lens app would be very extensive, maybe too much. Maybe it's a stupid idea, but I would like to see a site/app dedicated to users of m43, where you would see some basic information about those lens with reviews, links to sample pics etc.

As for native lens, I think that sorting by prices on amazon.com would be fine. I'm not from US myself, but I can easily guess how much will something cost in EU from an US Amazon price.

As for surveys, few days ago I discovered this site and I found it very useful as quick reference for what to look. But I think it wouldn't make much sense for native lens, as there are just few of them and they usually have plenty of reviews on the net.
  8. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey John, thanks for that useful feedback!
  9. Y-V-E-S

Y-V-E-S Mu-43 Veteran

May 20, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Yves Gajardo
  10. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    Android version! Maybe you could import prices from like Google Products as that has already filtered out prices from multiple retailers online, and draw in reviews from Amazon, or something like that. This way it isn't so much work, and you wouldn't really have to do much individual updating.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Adding a depth of field calculator would make it something I could actually use (and would pay for).

I don't need to inventory my lenses, I just open my bag - yep I have those!
  12. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
  13. lwd

lwd New to Mu-43

May 14, 2011
  14. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hey Y-V-E-S, thanks! Please rate it if you get a chance. Much appreciated.
  15. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    KSN, good idea. I'll need to see if Google Products has some API's to perform that... I'm pretty sure Amazon has something like and hand-picked reviews from the web is another option.
  16. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Hmm, depth of field calculator is something I'll need to research further. Maybe a separate app? Thanks for the feedback!
  17. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Downloaded you app. Very cute. I'm sure there will be some fine tuning after all of the comments and suggestions you've received here today.

Cheers, Alan
  18. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    thanks for the app, i will check it out when i get home!

in regards to depth of field calculator, there already is one out there, check out: "Simple DoF"
  19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, but it's not integrated with our lenses and our sensor size. I think it would be pretty cool to pick your lenses in your favorites, and then go there and everything is set, put in your aperture and focal distance and it spits out the stats for that setup
  20. Scott105

Scott105 Mu-43 Rookie

May 12, 2011
    Nice app. I have enjoyed compiling a wish list of lenses using this app today.