Mirrorless in Japan is all that matters

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by gr8Shot, Jan 3, 2014.

1. gr8Shot

gr8Shot Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  2. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    This graph appears to be flawed. It says people bought the Canon EOS M. :biggrin:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. micronean

micronean Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    I don't know if a growing trend in Japan is a sure-fire way to get a technology up and moving worldwide. I think it's "hit and miss" just like everything else.

For example, MiniDisc was very popular in Japan, but never made a dent in the West.
  4. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Oh man, I remember those. My brother had one. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and was kind of sad that it died out after a while.
  5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Gotta take things in perspective. How are the online sales doing in Japan?
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The lesson here is that cheaper cameras sell the best. The EOS M is a big seller because they dropped the price. The E-PL5 and E-PM2 are sub $500 bodies since a few months after introduction.
  7. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

This is no different with DSLRs. Lower end cheaper models are driving sales.
  8. rbelyell

rbelyell Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 15, 2013
    Mountains of NY
    great! that means that DF i want will soon dip under $2000 right? ):
  9. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    Yeah, we can dream together. I've been eyeing a Phase One 645DF+ & IQ280 digital back lately. Just need to get a second mortgage on the house and I'm all set, which would be fine since my wife would be getting the house in the divorce if I tried buying this camera. :biggrin:
  10. JustinZ850

JustinZ850 Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 25, 2013
    Florida Panhandle
    Asia in general seem to embrace the smaller technology more than anybody else in the world. I remember my first trip to Boracay in the Philippines a few years ago, DLSR's were everywhere, but fast forward a year later and the majority of Asian tourist were sporting smaller mirrorless cameras and the only people using DSLR's were the Europeans and Americans.

I will probably never get rid of my Canon stuff, but my days of traveling around the world with a large backpack are long gone.
  11. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    To be fair, a big reason it never caught on was because Sony deliberately made it very difficult to master minidiscs from a computer in order to protect their recording division from piracy. If they had embraced the mp3/digital music file, they could have had a very compelling product line right up until hard disks were miniaturized enough to make the iPod possible.
  12. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    It does seem like Sony has always been preoccupied with these sort of things. I had no idea - I was but a kid back then. I just thought the little discs were very futuristic, haha.
  13. ornithology

ornithology Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Haha! Minidisc with LP2 recording...yeeeaaaahhh!! $300 in the dRAIN...