Mirrorless Grip project - Prototypes

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Sickfreerider182, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Sickfreerider182

Sickfreerider182 New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    Hello,

Some weeks ago, I started a project that is elaborate here :

https://www.mu-43.com/f67/mirrorless-grip-project-need-your-opinions-45788/

I wanted to know what Sony NEX users and other mirrorless users wanted for helping the ergonomy, comfort and usefullness. With all your ideas, I have done 2 prototypes in 3D that show one low cost and one more complex.

So, I just want some feedback from you guys. What do you like, don't like. What to add or remove. Just your opinions about those prototypes!

Thanks a lot!!

Here they are :

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1) Low cost

Caracteristics :

-108 g

-More grip

-Opening for the battery/SD compartment

-Sling shot connection

-Arca suiss connection for tripod

-Hole for speaker

-Threads for tripod

-All Aluminium painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) more complex

Caracteristics :

-220 g

-More even grip

-Multi interchangeable pieces (grip, base and side)

-Opening for the battery/SD compartment

-Opening on side for HDMI/USB

-Sling shot connection

-Arca suiss connection for tripod under and on side

-Hole for speaker

-Threads for tripod

-All Aluminium painted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I doubt I'd use one, as I want the camersa to be small, but I can suggest an inprovement - change the aria swiss to a square format that can be clamped in either direction. This is how I did mine for my DSLR & I find clamping so the camera can be adjusted forward back is VERY useful for macro!

3. Sickfreerider182

Sickfreerider182 New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for your answer.

For the square format Arca Swiss, is it that you mean ?

[​IMG]

4. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    No, that one's only got the grooves on two sides.
    The design I'm talking about can be clamped either across the lens axis or parallel to it.

5. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

6. Petrochemist

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
  7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Interesting to see how your project is progressing - I am slightly surprised at the additional height both your solutions appear to add compared to the camera itself. Was this a deliberate design choice from yourself for a given hand size compared to height on a NEX camera?

I like the modular version (not surprising given my original comments) but I think the mounting flange shown for the grip would preclude people using it without the extra grip (I like lots of options for people) and given this would also add significantly to the machining of the base plate, and therefore the cost, perhaps the outer profile in this area should closer to the un modular version with the fixing points through the grip section in a horizontal plane rather than the vertical? Yes this could result in the heads for any screws showing so not quite as aesthetically pleasing but design, like life, is always full of compromises!!

If the screws are set in recesses this may not be an issue. I also note you don't have a lot of wall/material thickness to use for this approach in some areas with the large cutout through the base plate so perhaps two longer screws at the ends where you have material and one shorter one in the thinner wall section.

This would then also allow other shapes for the grip area (e.g. more rounded at the front like Panasonic G series) other than Sony's "flats with rounded corners" used on the NEX without changing the the base plate for each version.

I also like the suggestion of the 4 way mounting options on the tripod plate but this would almost certainly result in this part having to be machined as a separate piece and assembled but again lends itself to a modular approach so you could offer other options/plate styles (rail mount for macro work?).

Whatever you decide it probably worth listing all the possible approaches with their pros and cons as tutors/ examiners like to see you have considered other approaches along with the reasons for your design choices.

Please keep us informed on your progress.