1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mirrorless Grip project - Need your opinions

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Sickfreerider182, May 7, 2013.

1. Sickfreerider182

Sickfreerider182 New to Mu-43

Mar 12, 2012
    Hello guys!

I am a student at university in Mecanical Engineering. I need to do a final project to have my diploma.

As you know, the mirrorless cameras are greater each year and a lot of person sell their dSLR to go smaller. The problem is that a smaller camera is not ergonomic when you have to do some shooting/wedding. It hurts at long time. And not everybody can afford a dSLR for pro stuff and a mirrorless for everyday photos.

So, I have to create an accessory that can be put under the body by the thread for the tripod. I would like to do something that can help the ergonomy, the comfort and the usefullness. So, when you want to have a small camera to carry, let the body nude. And if you want more comfort with big lenses, put the grip on and go for it! The camera I own is the Sony NEX-6.

Here is an exemple of a similar accessory, but I want something with more. Sony NEX camera Grip

So, more grip, batterie access, sling shot ring under, side tripod threads, advance tripod thread for big lenses, detached parts, etc etc! Give me your opinions and what you want! If you would want something to have the best camera ever (physically), what you want to be in this accessory?

What do you think about this :

1) Multi interchangeable parts design

2) Different sizes interchangeable grip for best comfort (different material could me cool like wood, aluminium, leather, etc.)

3) Sling shot strap connector

4) Side thread for tripod in vertical mode

5) Battery grip if possible

6) Grip on the rear side of the body to maintain more comfortably the camera (thumb)

7) Accessibility to the AV/USB and battery compartment.

8) Light weight

9) others

Thanks a lot for your help, and maybe if the grip is nice and not expensive, I could sell it soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. anttipantti

anttipantti Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 19, 2012
    I'd be interested in a OM-D grip that is

A. pretty cheap
    B. the handgrip part is the same or almost the same height as the body. I don't like the ones that don't go all the way up (like only 2/3). For example the ones on the RX1 and EX1 in the pictures
    C. simple bottom plate design that has only tripodmount and allows quick access to the battery and sd card compartments. I also like the designs that follows the curvers of the camera (like the RX1 and EX1 grips)

It would be a bonus if it was made of wood. Other materials are just as fine as long as the grip is correctly priced.

3. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I would like a grip for Panasonic Gx1. As far as I know no one makes one.

4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    :thiagree: a Grip for the GX1 would be great. I did see an L bracket was created for it but it'd be nice to have different options.

5. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    I have to say that I am more than satisfied with the battery / 2 Part grip for the OMD, it offers the flecibility of a small grip for landscape work and an additional easy/quick fit addition for extra battery life and vertical shooting controls + 2 more function buttons, all in all a very well thought out amnd flexible grip.

I previously owned a GX1 and had to use it in the half case for it to feel comfortable & secure in the hand.

I would suspect that most users would not be looking for a grip that adds extra width to the camera or it will soon puch it into DSLR size; there are also grips on the market for the OMD that offer access to battery for quick change but, they are not as versatile as the Oly HLD-6.

Good luck with your quest and I would certainly concentrate on the Pany GX1 & new Olympus EP5, they are both current high end Mu43 that would benefit from extra support in use.

6. Sickfreerider182

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for the fast answers! :)

My thread here is to do a brainstorming, to see what people wants. It is for the whole mirrorless familly, cause they are all in the same boat : small.

Like I said, a larger grip would be usefull for who can only afford 1 system that can do everything. Small for travelling/all-around and bigger for professional use. The HLD-6 from the OMD is a great exemple.

7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Wow, fun thread.

It would be interesting to see on old styled grip like the mamiya c330 grip modernized to the point of flash bracket and wireless file transmission to iOS or Android. That would be an insta-sell for me on ANY camera. All the current designs (EG: Canon and Nikon, or wierd dongles and buggy apps) are clunky iteravives to the battery grips. the c330 grips and it's ilk were/are ergonomic and awesome and could be completely multifunctional now. They'd also look cool on the Om-D imo.

8. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    Left handed version.

9. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    JLM's grip w/o the L bracket is almost perfect for me. Gives a good solid handle on the E-M5, built in Arca swiss plate, centers tripod mount with the lens, has strap loops for a handgrip, and wasn't too expensive.

What I would love? Take the stock olympus grip, and modify it to have all of JLM's stuff... including access to the battery w/o removing the grip.

10. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    This would be a neat idea but if any lefties are like me, it might be difficult to get used to because we've gotten accustomed to right handed gear that most of the world uses =/

11. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    What about a modular flat plate that is about 6mm thick about the size if the base plate with two 3mm holes at either end that would still allow access to any battery compartment and provides mounting points for slings etc.

The holes in the plate (or other connection method) would allow a number of different grips (height, material etc) to suit individuals to be fitted at one side and a right angle plate or a flash bracket, LH grip, radio trigger, intervalometer, bluetooth/phone interface etc. etc. at the other.

A similar arrangement in the centre to allow different tripod plates to be fitted etc.

The would mean that the accessories would be common to lots of cameras and for new camera models only a new base plate would be required.

Would take a significant amount of research to determine how to make the accessories suitable to lots of different cameras though...

12. marcsitkin

marcsitkin Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Harwich, MA USA
    Marc Sitkin
    I'm a righty, but would like to leave the dumb action of holding the camera with my left hand, while my right hand is freed up of supporting the camera to work the controls (since they are never put on the left).

13. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    Made me think of Ned Flanders' Leftorium.
    ;)

leftorium.

14. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    JohnRae
    ohhhh I see what youre talking about now! Yes, that does make more sense

15. Sickfreerider182

Mar 12, 2012
    Thanks for sharing, didn't know that sort of grip. It could be an idea, but not for my project.. It would be too big. BUT, it is a nice idea for a futur project! ;)

Yeah, JLM's grip is good, but I want something better! hehe It is sure that the battery will be direct access.

It is something to take in consideration. Not difficult to do too.

That's a nice one! I tought about it too. The modular grip would open a big familly of accessories like you said and people could make their custom Camera with that.

16. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    One I am looking at making from some extra nice wood I have at home (when I get some extra time) is a grip "extender" for the G3 I have. Add about another ~1" at the bottom (my pinky currently hits my palm when holding it), and possibly add a bit more meat to the grip it has (turn it into more of a G2/G5 grip size). Haven't found a way to integrate a battery compartment hole, as on the G3 it extends all the way to the edges. Add a section of threaded brass, with a small threaded insert glued into the top, so I can have it attach at the tripod point, and still have access to mount it/add a d-ring plate.

Hardest part is going to be matching the downward curve at the bottom of the camera, to make it seamless, instead of curving in, and then jutting back out slightly when the grip starts. Have a feeling between that, and getting it to have the appropriate size hole for the smaller grip, will be a lot of dremel work.