Mirrorless FF, Gotta love Leica

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by silver92b, Dec 27, 2014.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Love the colors, rendering and detail. It takes a bit of practice to shoot coming from Olympus OM cameras (no A/F, no IBIS), but awesome anyway

Leica M240 w/ Zeiss 50f2 ZM

cJu3Ak4.

ZkFLxCg.

k4Hsb1e.

XvdpPlh.

MymZjw1.

RmlhYx8.

• Like Like x 8
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Your Leica is clearly broken, the photos are all in colour. ;)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    How long did it take for you to get the film developed? :evilsmile:

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL! It's all Lightroom technology everything is in B&W I just colorized it:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
  5. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    1 hour while you wait at the local Walgreens Pharmacy LOL!

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I fixed the problem.. :wink:

EkGX95K.

• Like Like x 1
  7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You're camera is now working. I'd write to Leica and let them know about the problem and how you fixed it. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I think I'll keep the fix a secret. Who knows, there might be other "defective" Leicas out there out of warranty. I could make a tidy sum offering my services. :wink:

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Very funny.... How about a compromise and accept the balance of pictures taken with the RD-1 and Voigtlander lenses? I could also include my other mirrorless, cantankerous DP2-M :wink: At least I'm faithful to RF, mirrorless, and/or high detail :biggrin:

10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Personally I don't get this whole Leica "look". Maybe I'm a Philistine!

11. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    To each his own. I like photography and enjoy using different cameras, lenses, etc. Leica is not for everybody just like medium frame or film, etc. If you don't like it, you are way ahead because you wont be wanting one and spending more money. Anyway, you'd get the same sort of answers from the FF DSLR crowd about using MFT. Others hate the Sigma Merrill cameras, Sony FF, (insert your favorite hated name), etc.

Most folks out there think that their cell phone takes better pictures than a Leica (or your EM-5 for that matter) :wink: Anyway, it's interesting to read so many negative/ridiculing comments about the Leica M. It is an excellent instrument, and the glass is also quite good. So it's puzzling to see all the gratuitous negativity.:confused:

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

More accurately the ones posted by the OP should be "Ziess" look....:cool:

Long time Leica shooter here.... I too don't really get the whole "Leica look" explanation either. There is no such thing as Magic Leica Fairy Dust... just good Leica stuff. Its not like Leica has cornered the market for good stuff... there is lots of good stuff out there... to each their own.

For me, its shooting with the rangefinder that makes the difference. If Epson R-D# were still a running production product, I would have no problems shooting with it.... I'm adapting my M lenses to a Sony A7R... its just not the same though... but I might keep it for other adaptable lenses.

13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I shoot whatever camera will get out of my way and make my capture process easier.

My "look" is more a function of the angles and compositions I use and my post processing techniques.

I know people that shoot <Insert Brand X> and love it, won't shoot anything else. The camera is very personal choice as is the post processing technique used. As already stated, to each their own. I could never afford a Leica unless I sold ever other piece of photo equipment i own. I like what I have and I doubt that I would be able to operate a Leica any better than the gear I already have.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    Leitz used to make the best photographic glass in the world. They had German gov't contracts to develop military optics for tank sights and rangefinders in the '70s and '80s, and trickled the technology down to their camera optics. A newspaper photographer friend showed me 2 K64 slides he'd shot of a Ford pickup truck with the 'laser' stripes down the side. The first was with a Leica 180mm f2.8 that he owned and the second was the same scene and exposure with the new Leica 180mm f3.4. The difference in color transmission was amazing. It was like going from 'Natural' to 'Vivid 2' in OV3.
    I schemed for years to afford a Leica system but ended up keeping the excellent Canon FD system that served me well in my work.

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    If you took my comment as harsh, be aware it was totally tongue in cheek. Hard to read tone on the internet.

16. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Interestingly enough, I find the FD prime lenses to be quite good. Excellent actually. I used them with M43 bodies and I use them with adapter on the Leica. The biggest drawback is their size and the fact that they are not RF coupled.

You are correct of course, the "look" is a function of technique and composition more than equipment choice. However, the equipment has a huge influence in how one "shoots". This is probably the reason for the "Leica look"... BTW, if one looks around and pulls the trigger quickly, a Leica body and some Zeiss glass can be purchased for not much more than a FF DSLR and a fast "monster" lens :wink:

Amen, no fairy dust exists, whether of Leica, Hasselblad or (name your favorite). But as you say, the RF experience is unique and will definitely affect the tenor and characteristics of one's work. I too captured a lot of images with the Epson RD-1 which is a wonderful camera (free plug here, mine is for sale now :wink:). Also, the design of the Leica & Zeiss (and to a lesser degree, Voigtlander) lenses for RF cameras is quite different from the automated lenses of modern DSLR or mirrorless cameras. The totally manual lenses allow the design of very light, small and wonderfully fast lenses with iconic IQ. They provide the "Leica look".

Yes, it's hard to tell sometimes when a person is making a funny, tongue-in-cheek post, or blasting away with double "0" loads of criticism. :wink: In my defense, negative and harsh comments and insults are not rare in internet forums although these photography forums tend to be by and large quite civil and circumspect.

17. Cederic

Cederic Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 14, 2012
    Nottingham
    How did you get those clouds?? Love them, and that's not a Leica thing, that's some post processing magic. They're marvellous! Share?

• Like Like x 1
  18. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've shot m4/3 with Leica lenses and never got that 'Leica Look'.

19. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    With the right PP on LR you can probably get it or a reasonable facsimile thereof. The 'Leica look' is probably the result of the processing in the sensors. For what it's worth, there is ample controversy and discussion about the pros and cons of the CCD and CMOS sensors used in the M9 and M240. Of course, one can get the "CCD" sensor look with the M240 by tweaking the images in LR.... The MFT sensors are quite good and the Oly cameras are very good. However, they do not produce the same color rendition or the detail of the Leica FF sensors OOC... But post processing should make practically indistinguishable images from the Leica...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I think the "Gotta love Leica" quote caused the problem.
    Yes you get fanboys, people who don't use rational judgement, and go around hating all sorts of equipment and software too. But there are rational reasons why you don't (gotta) love a Leica. I don't love Leica, but neither do I hate Leica. I might hate its size and weight though. Just like many DLSRs. And the price, for what I'd want from it.

And then there's the appearance. Leica have taken their original look, and made it more extreme on some models. Sorry I don't know the model names. They want to strengthen their brand look. Not an easy task for any product. But the simplified,"Leica Style" look they are using, in combination with a large camera body, is tough for people who are not already sold on their style to like. It makes the older, more conservative, Leicas look great though.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015