1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mirrorless camera buffer speed. All makes of cameras. Pani,Oly,Sony, Leica and etc.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by bob madison, Sep 27, 2012.

1. bob madison

bob madison Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    There has been lots of testing and discussion of buffer clearing speed on various mirror less cameras. What my question is.

What is your real time, every day, general use observation on your camera’s buffer clearing time, for a single image taken.

Once you take one image how long till the cameras view finder and or lcd shows a current image not the one just recorded. I know it an vary using different memory cards and other variables.

For me I use a Panasonic G3 using RAW no presets and using a Lexar professional 16GB 133x SD card and the time for me is usually 3 seconds from time I push the shutter button till I can see that the camera is ready for a new image. Normally this is no big deal because it might be just a static shot. If it is a action or maybe just an object you want to follow then I am out of luck, can’t see where it went.

Hopefully as they camera’s mature the buffer will get faster to clear. Here is hoping the Panasonic GH3 will be an improvement.

Thanks for your observations.

2. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'm confused - are you talking about image review, or the write buffer? To me, buffer write speed means how long it takes to write images to the card after taking a burst of photos. On the Panasonic cameras that's visible when you click the image review button immediately after taking a shot and it says "processing" before displaying the images.

It sounds to me like what you're describing is the image review in the EVF/LCD after taking the shot, which you may have set to 3s review. If you turn that off and you're using a modern/fast SD card you should be able to take single shots in succession very quickly without losing the live view for extended periods. On all the Panasonic cameras I've had (G5, GX1, G3 and GF2 before that), I'm talking like fraction of a second of EVF blackout between shots. Definitely nothing in the multiple seconds range.

3. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    Yep that's what I think too, if you have the image review on though, once you have taken a shot if you half press the shutter button the camera instantly goes back to live view.

Paul

4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Amongst the cams I have used, the Olympus bodies feel more responsive. Pana is okay but not great; it helps that the GH2 buffer is tiny. My A65 is the most painful, since it will rip off a large burst of 24MP shots, and then just sit there slowly emptying 100MB+ to card.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    The OM-D was a good bit faster than the GX1 with equivalent cards when I compared them. Card speeds can make a very big difference to write speeds and buffer clearing times.

6. bob madison

May 23, 2012
    Thanks for the replys guys. I may have the review mode on. I will check it when I get home.
    TIA
    Bob

7. bob madison

May 23, 2012
    Well friends, within 5 minutes after getting home my camera is working as advertized of course it always was I just had to correct the setting to off. Think sometime that I should turn in my digital licence and just use my zeiss ikon 35mm film camera:)

8. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    I'd be lying if I said I'd never done something like that myself, so I'll just say I'm glad it's working better for you now. Hopefully it makes your G3 that much more useful and enjoyable for you! :smile:

9. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    Among all the mirrorless cameras I've have/had, the NEX is by far the fastest. It's not even close. For example, I've been shooting quite a few 3 shot bursts with my GF2 and my NEX 3. In the time it takes the GF2 to process the first shot, the NEX 3 is done with all 3. This is JPEG + RAW. I quite often fire off 10 FPS bursts on the NEX. The machine gun like sound draws attention from other people taking pictures around. Put another way, I have to keep in mind that it'll take a bit for my GF2 to cycle and be ready for another shot. I don't even think about it with the NEX. I expect it to be ready whenever I am.

10. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    this is TOTALLY opposite to my experience and why I bought a GF1 instead of an EPL1 and a G3 instead of an EPL2 (although the high ISO performance was a bigger factor on that one)

11. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    What I've noticed is that card speed makes heaps of difference. I've got four SD cards for my GH2, the fastest a 45mb/s Sandisk Extreme Pro and the slowest, well, it's slow, and the Sandisk clears close to instantly, while my slowest will take a while.

12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    The 1st and 2nd gen Oly cameras are a world apart in performance from their modern evolutions. I thought we all knew that, and do not consider it to be relevant.