1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

MIRRORLESS BATTLE! Micro 4/3 vs APS-C vs Full Frame! - Steve Huff

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by DigitalD, Feb 23, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    And, big surprise, Fuji loses. Given a NEX, I wonder how many of the Sony wins would be tied.

3. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Well at least he's consistent :p

4. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    Australia
    William
    It's all about preference in the end. I can see why he would still prefer Olympus, they've really done a great all around job.

5. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    Thanks for posting the link, I don't think that this will be a big surprise to anyone who has used an O-MD for any length of time. Modern m43 cameras compare extremely well to their peers.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I wasn't trying to dismiss the Olympus at all, just pointing out that Steve Huff doesn't seem to get along with any Fuji product. It is fully his right to do so, but needs to be taken into account for an "objective" view.

7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    This is more like he likes Olympus and justifies it until Fuji comes out with a ahem "something better" or Sony "something better".

A good camera is the one that you like using the most and you flow with it. Today, all cameras are good already.

8. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Whoa, the OM1 really beats the other two cameras! This is surprising based on nearly everything else I've seen. In most of his photos, it looks like the Sony and Fuji have no contrast or sharpness. No way should those cameras lose to the Olympus that bad. Why is this?

9. Robb

Robb Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2014
    Sydney
    Rob
    Having used both sony apc and olympus em5/em1 there is no comparison in terms of usability. And any benifit the bigger sensor has from sony is wasted on a mushy user interface.

10. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    For sure there is some personal preference in there, I really like a lot of what Fuji are doing. The cameras look great, I appreciated that they aren't getting swept up in the megapixels war and I really like the look of Fuji out of camera images. They have a really nice range of lenses, but there are a few things that don't really gel. They seem to do very odd things with the RAW files; NR is applied even if you switch it off, which makes it hopeless for astrophotography and less than ideal for someone who likes to tinker with images in post processing. I can't understand their decision to mess with the RAW output so much. For my personal wants and needs this heavy handed approach to output was enough to put me off, which is a shame.

11. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    He said the same things several times when he did the test on the E-M5 II. However, i don't think it's quite fair to compare the E-M1 with a full frame camera designed for video (4k included) that has a 12Mp sensor.

Interesting test, but as they say, different horses for different courses.

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    The first thing I noticed was his choice of lens for the OM1.

The 25mm f1.4, is IMVHO, one of the best lenses out there.

13. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    If I could justify the expense I'd have a A7S just for astrophotography, it's an ISO monster!

14. londonfire

londonfire Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    Western NC
    Just read the article and found it interesting. Also want to say that I went on a photo trip with Steve and a gang out West and he's just a NORMAL guy. He may have access to a bunch of nice stuff but he calls a spade a spade and then sends it back. Most reviewers get on their knees when the manufacturers come along...

15. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    He didn't claim he was being objective; in fact he made the point that he was being subjective. As all reviewers (including me) do. For me, the key in reading any review is to understand why the reviewer came to a conclusion, rather than what their conclusion actually is.

16. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    As you would expect, the Fuji forums (or at least one in particular) are up at arms regarding this. I shoot both Fuji and m43 and I'll say here what I said over there:

When it comes to the Fuji cameras I've shot with, I tend to agree with a couple of his comments - I do think the X-E1 and X-Pro1 in particular feel pretty hollow and because of that they felt odd in the hand with a heavier lens on them. On the other hand, I feel my X100S is one of the best built cameras I've ever held. I also agree that the challenges that come from processing RAF files with various software can be frustrating should have been something that Fuji considered and worked with other software manufacturers from the get go to get consistently good results. I'd say the same thing about Sigma and their Foveon sensor technology. These days I don't think its realistic to expect the photographic community to only use your manufacturer-supplied software or rely on in-camera JPEGs to get acceptable quality from these cameras. (I also realize 'acceptable' is a relative term).

All that said, I do think Steve Huff is the new Ken Rockwell.

• Like Like x 1
  17. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I'm not sure why the Fuji people are so upset in regards to his opinion and why Sony people aren't happy either. You know -- you can choose not to read and accept it. It's your adult choice you know!

First of all, it's his opinion and he has the right to express it. His opinion is not fact. I don't think we like to be the same in opinions and everything, so he's simply expressing them methodically. Olympus is a camera company for the longest time and has the imaging experience compared to Fuji and Sony who are relatively new comers, although Fuji had been getting their feet with cameras and lenses during the film days too. The written piece simply showcase that despite the E-M1 having a smaller sensor, it still can outpace and keep up with the bigger sensors as long as the person behind the camera is really good at what he or she does. This coincides with pros who are part of the Olympus Trailblazer team who believe and use Olympus products for their award winning and Pulitzer prize calibre photos. Which means that if the photographer has the skills to win, the m4/3 sensor can match and provide that winning combination. Sadly in forums, we discuss photography as being some scientific measuring apparatus where we believe that bigger specs leads to better photography and thus your photography will only improve if your sensor is as big as it can be dictated by how much you're willing to spend. This is a form of separation of the art of photography and your own self, because your vision from within is what forms the image to be captured by the camera. Once you have that, choosing an equipment is easy to reproduce with the highest and closest approximation of that vision. Steve's vision and how it is captured is what Olympus can closely provide for him if you notice he talks a lot about Leica M and other stuff. I tend to agree with him, though I use an E-1 and E-5 for that. Suffice to say, another person's vision will not be fulfilled simply using an Olympus. It could be with a Sony A7s.

The main problem people have is that their vision is separate from their purpose in photography and so, they incessently worry and hoping a camera system will make them happy. If you keep following other people's vision, then no camera system will EVER make you happy because you'll be switching and defending camera systems for the rest of your lives and rob your energy and resources where you should be out there taking pictures which is what we should be doing? No?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. VinVin

VinVin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 7, 2010
    GTA, Canada
    Kevin
    I wholeheartedly agree with you. To be honest I take all reviews with a grain of salt and can totally understand that people have their own preferences. A photographer is not definted by gear but by the finesse with which they use that gear as well as the results that are shown through their photo's.

When I think of the whole idea behind specs pushing photographers, I remind myself howsilly that concept is in and of itself. The DRTV series Protog-Cheap Camera really brings this to light. Yes they are pro photographers and have the experience and vision that comes with their post, but each and every video in that series, no matter how cheap the camera was, no matter how bad the specs were, the images created were almost aways something else. For me, the Lara Jade video just blew me off my feet and the pictures she created with that toy are a lot better than what I see from people with tens of thousands of dollars of gear!

Ultimately photography is about painting with light, as such it shouldn't be the brushes that matter but the painting itself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    I thought his remarks were fair, as he concluded with "That is the beauty of it. It is not about WINNING or LOSING it is about WHAT YOU PREFER." I use both Sony and Olympus on a regular basis. Went for a nice walk in very cold temps late yesterday evening, OM-D E-M5 over one shoulder and NEX-6 over the other. Took about a dozen pics with each, and came back quite happy with the results from both. Each camera has its strengths. Both of my cameras are 2 generations or more old. No complaints here. I don't see myself buying any more cameras unless one of mine conks out.

• Like Like x 2
  20. DigitalD

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    I can feel the heat from the flames of disapproval over at the fuji forums from here muhahaha...

Vin, I love those series too! They were pretty much made to prove a point if I am not mistaking. I used to shoot on a Canon 10D. I don't look back on those pictures and say, wow, that photo would have been so much better on a newer camera. But I do have a bad case of GAS and I love gadgets and playing with the newest tech. I mean I prove it by the fact that I work professionally as a product designer now. So I love comparison blogs and such. Not sure I have ever been 'up in arms' about someones opinion tho. That to me seems silly.

The camera is a tool. And better tools may give you more advantages but it certainly doesn't make you a better craftsman. But creating art is so full of nuance that a Camera that you can bond with may in fact make you a better photographer. That can be debated.

I can't be down on Steve at all however. He speaks from the heart. I can pretty much credit him with being a big reason why I gave M43 a chance while still being a long time Canon DSLR owner. I owe him some gratitude for that. I never bonded with my Canon DSLRs as much as I have with my M43 camera's and I know now that this IS the most important thing. More so then any single spec. I think that is what Steve tries to relay and what most people miss about his reviews.

• Like Like x 3