1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mirror lenses.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Fiddler, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

I just bought a used Vivitar 500mm f8 mirror lens in FD mount. Does anyone have a experience of this kind of lens? I can't use it until my adapter arrives. I've never used a mirror lens, so I'm intrigued... All I know is that they produce very strange out of focus area donuts... It's certainly compact. Any comments much appreciated.

All the best,

Colin

2. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have owned 3 of them over the years:

Sigma 600/8 (great when I shot pony pics at Chincoteague,VA 25 years ago)
    Minolta 250/5.6 (cute, almost the size of the 50mm and the best performer)
    Quantaray 300/5.6 (currently own, mediocre, but handy when I walk around the lake and don't want to carry much)

Contrast takes a big hit with mirror. And as you have mentioned the bokeh is unusual. It is best to avoid strong out of focus highlights.

I posted a couple of pictures over here of my 300/5.6 - they are unprocessed.

Quantaray 300/5.6 on GF1 and samples

And quality is not up to snuff versus refractor lenses. Especially since you are only using the middle. And the design can lend itself to some unusual artifacts in addition to the funny bokeh.

That being said they are cheaper, lighter and smaller and have a place, especially for wildlife and sports, when you can't haul a large lens.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fiddler

Fiddler Mu-43 Veteran

Thanks very much for your reply and interesting photos. I got the lens for £10 US$16), so I can't complain about the price. I bought it with the intention of photographing a fascinating island near where I live - the Bass Rock. It is the largest nesting ground for gannets in the world. Without+ND10. The photo isn't mine so all credit to the photographer. All the white you can see is millions of Gannets nesting. As soon as my adapter arrives, I'll be off to do a shoot.

All the best,

Colin

• Like Like x 2
  4. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    And if bird poop gets on the lens or you drop it in the ocean it isn't a big loss ... :wink:

• Like Like x 1
  5. sinpig

sinpig Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    Superior, WI
    Can't wait to see the results...

• Like Like x 1
  6. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Too much curious to see and observe the outputs by using mirror lenses.

• Like Like x 1
  7. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I've had a Sigma 600 for a while - very light and compact for the focal length but I struggled with hand holding so be prepared to use a tripod. Never found the bokeh a problem but contrast will need boosting in post processing.

• Like Like x 2