1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mirroless hazard

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Neftun, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Ok, so I have been taking pictures and selling photogear for a decade or so, coming from 135 film, bought my first dslr in 2004, and using mirrorless cameras since 2009, with the ep1, then em5 as my primary camera, and now have an em1 on order. I have a bunch of lenses, always had more than one available, and changed lenses frequently.

I sold my em5 some three weeks ago, and the buyer noticed something before putting the money on the table: The sensor had a small scratch in it. I had no idea how that happened, I pride myself in my care of gear, but obviously it happened while the sensor had nothing in front of it, meaning while changing lenses. A workshop established that the scratch did not show on pictures, hence is a cosmetic flaw, probably on the glass that is the sswf, but still. Could easily been worse, but in the 10 years of handling cameras, I had never seen this.

Anyone else experienced this? Is mirrorless a vulnerable technology? Heard about dust on sensors in dslr's, but never scratches. And would 135 format mirrorless be even more vulnerable, with large sensorarea and short flangedistance? Any good advice to avoid it except the obvious "be careful"?
    Thanks!

Patrick K

2. greenarcher02

greenarcher02 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 13, 2012
    Manila, Philippines
    That's scary. I guess those with a shorter flange focal distance would be more vulnerable. And I guess mirrorless could be more vulnerable to sensor damage since when the camera is off, the shutter curtain doesn't close (except for the GM1)... all sorts of things could get in, even insects.

So I guess one preventive measure is to never change lenses while the camera is facing the wind. I never do that since all sort of things could get in. I try to put my back on the wind and cover the whole camera with my body. I prioritize putting in a lens first before putting the cap on the lens.

What doe the scratch look like? Do you have a photograph of it?

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    Yea, technique is obviously important. Personally, I always face the mount downwards when changing lenses. Haven't given much thought to wind though, so I'll keep your tip in mind.

I do no have a pic of the scratch, it was very small and only visible when light came from a certain angle. Olympus estimated a cost of 1100 NOK ($180) to change the filter or piece of glass or whatever the scratch was on, so an affordable fix. But again, could have been worse. I'll be even more careful with my new camera, for sure.

Patrick K