MIRANDA EC 50mm F 1.4 For my OM-D ;;;

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PantelisMor, Apr 10, 2013.

1. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    Good evening.

I want to buy a 50 mm lens. I find the MIRANDA EC 50mm F 1.4 Manual lens. I would like to know more about the lens. Do you think that would be a good choice for my OM-D ;;; could i find an adaptor for my oly ;;;

it's the first time i search for adapter lens, i have no experience. Plz give me your lights...

Thx a lot
  2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    I don't know much about Miranda's, but what I've heard is not good. Generally speaking, the Takumar , the Canon and Nikon, the Minolta, and Olympus are considered the best bets for legacy fifties with the Takumar SMC being slightly more highly regarded. This of course does not include Leica and Zeiss, which are 3-4 times more money. The adapters can be had for $20 or less with myself liking the Fotodiox. Make sure that the glass is in excellent shape with not too much dust, no haze, fungus or visible scratches. You could get the above from $75- $125. After a quick investigation, it appears they are not used much because of the mount being a "Miranda bayonet" mount, whatever that is. The EC was the latest version made. It also has an inordinate amount of lens groupings for a 50, which could make it more difficult to find a properly functioning one, optically.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    That particular lens wouldn't be my first choice, simply because Miranda to :43: adapters are difficult to find. Of course this dearth of adapter options and the relative obscurity of the Miranda brand can make for some bargains.

You can find an adapter here.

If you do buy it and adapt it, please share some images. I've yet to see anyone who has shared images in this forum from a Miranda lens.
  4. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I have that adapter from ebay. Works. A little loose on the lens side..

I believe the Miranda Sensomat with its 50 got a best buy rating from Consumer Reports in 1970. Hey, it was $125 and I bought one. Still have it.

My first Miranda adapter is homemade. I took apart a Konica AR adapter, filed out the opening and glued in the bayonet that I removed from a Miranda teleconverter. Getting it exactly parallel and at the right register distance? Well it's close.

Miranda EC 50mm f1.8. Using the homemade rig.
  5. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Try the Canon FD lenses

Adapters for Canon FD lenses are cheap on Amazon (~15). The good thing about FD lenses are that there are alot of them and the quality is pretty good. If you try the 50 and like it, you can find plenty of other focal lengths to choose from.

The 50/1.8s are dirt cheap usually. The 50/1.4s are definitely a nice upgrade and about double the cost ($50-$75).

The Olympus 50/1.4 with serial numbers over 1,000,000 is my favorite 50 but these are harder to find and more $$.

Nikons can be good too but usually more money for a good one. The Canon FD lenses don't fit on current Canon bodies so they are not quite as valuable.

I tried a few other 50's and was not as happy with the 3 big names above. The Canons are my recommendation because I found them the cheapest and easiest to get.
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    FD50's f1.8's are dirt cheap. I paid $5 USD for mine. They are big lenses though. A nice lens is the OM 50mm.

The OP is in Europe and probably probably can't get the ebay Miranda adapter? I don't believe it's from China. I thought someone made them in his own shop in California.
  7. PantelisMor

PantelisMor Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 14, 2013
    I search on ebay and i find olympus 50 mm 1,8 very cheap. My question is if there is is big different between f1,4 and f1,8 ;;;;

Also i want to ask you something about adapters. I find an adaptor for my om-d and them i buy any lens ;;; or when i buy a lens i have to buy and another adapter ;;;;

Thx a lot.....
  8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    You need a different adapter for each brand of lens. So if you get a 50mm OM lens, and then get an 85mm OM lens, the same adapter will work. But the adapter for the Miranda and OM will be different.