1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Mirador

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by angloasturian, May 12, 2010.

1. angloasturian

angloasturian Mu-43 Veteran

A 'mirador' is literally a 'looking place' and they are built all over Spain where there are beautiful views. This one is at the west end of Salinas beach and is also an anchor museum dedicated to Philippe Cousteau (son of Jacques), who died in a seaplane accident in 1999. That's his bust on the rock in photo 5. The plaque explains that the anchor belonged to a galleon that sank off Florida in 1622 on its maiden voyage and was recovered by Mel Fisher three centuries later. This anchor was then presented to Aviles (San Agustine's sister city) in 1999.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    You are a lucky man Colin.

I remember years ago, 1977 in fact, watching the tely from my mother in law's flat in Edinburgh... and marveling at a special ancient walk thought the Spanish countryside that was in danger of disappearing to a major paved thoroughfare being overlain. Hopefully enough of the ancient traveled paths still remain.

I think there is a special pilgrimage that one can take also, if I remember correctly.

Bokeh D

• Like Like x 1
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Colin, many thanks for these. Once again, you've given me a chance to travel through your photographs.

The anchor museum and that bust of Philippe Cousteau - amazing! I'm in love with those last two in particular, though I really enjoyed each one.

• Like Like x 1
  4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    what a stirring set you have shared , thanks much

• Like Like x 1
  5. Christilou

Christilou Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2010
    Camberley, Surrey
    I'm enjoying your photos very much and looking forward to your next journey:smile: What a strange place to put the Cousteau bust!

• Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Agreed, Christilou - very strange but wonderful! I'm sure Philippe would have been very pleased.