Showcase Mir-1 (silver, "Gran Prix Brussels 1958")

This is the silver version. It has an 8-blade aperture but, in this particular example, stopping down the lens results in a slightly out-of-round hole. Hey; it was $10.52 ($.77+shipping) on eBay so I figured I could take a chance. It appears it will not focus to infinity (just a smidgeon off so I may craft a shorter m42 tube+helicoid if it's important to me). Here are some examples I shot this morning. (I'll note that the lens's helicoid is fouled up and needs cleaning so I'm using the M42>µ4/3 helicoid. I probably would continue to use that even if the lens's helicoid was functioning properly because this lens will only focus down to about 27".)
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I stopped the lens down to ƒ16 in an effort to get the towers on the mountain into focus. Looks like that did the trick. I did darken the sky just a bit. This shot is usually pretty tough to get as the haze between me and the mountain top (about 5 miles or so) washes out most everything at that distance. Guess it's a good day and this is a decent lens.

ƒ2.8 (I thought but looks like it has to be ƒ11 or f16) - Enhanced the yellow just a bit. Nice sharpness to the corners.

ƒ2.8 - decent bokeh, nice bubbles.

ƒ16 - surprised how sharp this is for an early 60's Russian lens.

ƒ16 - same image as above but sharpened, color enhanced, and vignetted a bit.

Century Plant
What looks like a shadow is actually the outer leaf embossed into the plant skin before the plant actually opens. Fall onto one of these and you'll be hospitalized, for sure. When you see them grow the central stem and start to flower, it is all the proof you need of alien visitation.

Russian Olive tree (IIRC).

The Mir is pretty sharp for being so beat up.

Not even sure what this fruit is. Here in the desert, crazy stuff grows/flowers/sprouts when any opportunity arises. [Edit: Pomegranate!]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom