Miops 360 - can’t trigger camera!

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My son and I had a first go at using the MIOPS 360 with a turntable today.
Tried it with his em1, and my older em5.2…. both use the same cable.
The 360 firmware has been updated, as has the iPad app.
We can set the 360 in Motion and were trying to test it with a home made turntable before setting up our lighting.
Hooked up camera to iPad using the cable and dongle.
Started the 360 and it worked wonderfully except that no matter what we tried we could not get the shutter on the camera to fire at any time, on any camera. So disappointed.
A couple of hours of online videos and not a word about camera settings we should use with our olympus.

Any suggestions as to why the camera isn’t firing?

NoTan2

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Paul
@pondball Hi Dan,
I just pulled out my intervalometer (same triggering functionality as the MIOPS, I presume) and connected it to an E-P5. It's been a while since I used it.
I didn't need to change anything on the camera to make it fire. (Unless you want long exposures and then you set shutter speed to B).

I remember when I first tried it, it didn't work. I didn't have the cable plugged into the E-P5 properly.

Does the camera autofocus? I built an intervalometer a few years ago using a Raspberry Pi and some optocouplers so I had to learn how cable triggering works and most cameras (I think Olympus is included) need the remote triggering device to trigger an autofocus first before the shutter is fired. The plug that goes into the intervalometer is a stereo plug and the tip is for shutter and the next connector down is for focus (or vice versa - can't remember). Can't believe that the manufacturer would get that wrong, though.

I had a look at the MIOPS manual and I couldn't see anything about connecting the camera to an iPad. It talks about connecting the camera to the port on the MIOPS. Is there an add-on to allow an iPad to control the shutter?

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Miops has quite a number of different cables that work with various manufacturers and models. Not all of their devices work with every manufacturer - as I just found out recently when I jumped at their new Flex - doesn’t sync with Olympus (yet).

I do have the correct cabLes for each of the em1, em1.2 and em5.2 I tried - they connect the camera to the iPad/iPhone through the Miops dongle
Everything gets recognized - but the camera doesn’t fire.

their support just sent me a link to a video that part way through suggest the camera must be in manual mode! I’m going to give it a try tomorrow. I had tried most other settings but not manual so fingers will be crossed!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom