Minolta Rokkor MD lens overexposure glows

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by adomolis, Feb 13, 2012.

1. adomolis

adomolis New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi there mu-43 Community,

I got my Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 lens off ebay with an adapter. Took some photos with my E-PL1 and noticed, that when theres a little overexposure and a bit wider aperture used, my photos come out with this "lightsaber" glowing effect on them bright places. Is this supposed to be or my lens perhaps is dirty and needs cleaning or something? What could be an issue here? Please see the attached image.

Thanks for any ideas.

2. Psynema

Psynema Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    Gary Hanna
    Some old lenses do that. Get a step down ring to act as a baffle, though you'll have to experiment with sizes. Hexanons needed a step down ring from fifty something to 28 thread IIRC.
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, it's pretty common for older lenses to be "glowy" wide open with high contrast in colors.
    Look at the glow on my lizard sleeping on a black pillow, from the Zuiko 50mm f/1.4...
  4. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    It is called spherical aberration where the extreme rays of light passing through the outside area of the lens are not focusing at the same point as the rays passing through the center of the lens. Spherical surfaces are really not ideal for forming an image which is why aspherical optics are a good. Stopping down can help.
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    +1, it's my experience that this lens needs stopping to f/2.8 to get rid of the halos e.g. around the bright yellow vest.
  6. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I swear I literally just posted 12 hours ago in another thread warning someone else that you need to stop down the Minolta 50mm f1.7 to get sharp pictures. :wink:
  7. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I don't get you folks. Leica guys spend tons of cash to get this "Leica glow" from old Leitz optics and you want to get rid of it!
    • Like Like x 6
  8. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Lol :rofl: :rofl:
  9. adomolis

adomolis New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2012
    So heres a little test i've done.
    the difference is huge at f/2.8. No light glow and image is much sharper.

LEFT > F/1.7 ////// RIGHT > F/2.8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Yes I have noticed the same thing with this lens (Minolta 50mm f1.7) - there is a huge difference between 1.7 and 2.8.
  11. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Wow I cant believe i haven't noticed this before. I pretty much exclusively use Minolta lenses on my G1. It is probably because I mostly use the faster 1.4 or 1.2 50mm's and keep it at 2.0 or above except if i am in very dim light. I keep the 1.7s on my camera bodies. Out of habit, when ever I'm using my legacy glass i focus wide open and stop down at least one stop unless i have to keep it open because i cant increase the ISO anymore.
    But i still love the Minolta glass I cant explain it.
  12. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Here is another example (not perfect as first picture is overexposed and taken from a different angle, but it shows the difference between f1.7 and f2.8:

(Both are crops of jpeg straight from camera) You can clearly see the glow on the small writing at f1.7 - at f2.8, it's gone!

I still like this lens though (good Minolta colours, very cheap to buy, easy to focus) - just remember not to use it at f1.7 and it's fine. :smile: If you want f2.0 without paying the price premium of the f1.2 or f1.4 lenses, then the 45mm f2.0 is better wide open from memory (might have to double check that tomorrow though!)
  13. locus000

locus000 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 10, 2011
    Yep 45mm f2.0 is a lot better at wide open, I shoot it all the time and it is pretty sharp.
    My 50mm F1.7 is extremely soft even at f4.0 (as compared to my 45mm), so I just stoop using that lens
  14. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    My 50mm F1.4 has a bit of that glow wide open, usually dont shoot at F1.4 though
  15. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have both the 1.7 and 1.4. The 1.4 is soft wide open but i don't find it as glowy, so it is a little more usable. Also you gain an extra stop at f2 with the 1.4, and another half stop before f2.8. I have it on my camera about 80% of the time. The lens is going for about twice the price as the 1.7 but totally worth it.
  16. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    I love the glow effect when used properly as I love the low contrast of a single coated vintage lens, on the other hand, the super sharpness of the Oly 45mm f1.8 can ruin a portrait so just use the lens in a way they can deliver the best picture.
    Cleaning/coating marks, dust and haze inside the lens can also cause this effect. I have a 85mm f1.9 super tak that as severe cleaning marks but makes lovely pictures full of glow and with vivid colors - I just love it!
  17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I agree with those who use an f/1.4 lens instead, so they can stop down to f/2 and still have a fast lens but sharper. :)

This is my preference as well. I've had some lovely f/1.8 lenses which I loved (such as the very compact Zuiko 50mm f/1.8), but eventually got rid of them all because I simply prefer the f/1.4 versions.