Minolta Rokkor 50/1.4 stretched focus ring solution and pics

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Boyzo, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    m43 revived my interest and the G series or the Pens work well, the champ being the E-PL1.

Over the years the diamond knurl of the 50/1.4 MC Rokkor got so loose it was useless.

I tried (don't laugh) Microwave oven ... did not shrink so a last resort to cutting and glue (Ugly) I soaked it in WD40 then Brake FLuid .... no effect so away on a shelf.
    Months later I looked and slid it on the Lens and Voila it was tight ... :smile: lucky :biggrin:

Here it is on the baby PL1 in bright light you need a ND filter else you are down to f4 for 1/1600 EP2 is better here.

It would be nice to have ND filter available in the body

MF setup is DARN good on the PL1

[​IMG]
    ISO200 F4
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rokkors are superb lenses ultra smooth focus and solid build .. I think OzRay shares my view :wink:

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I do indeed think they are great lenses and I have the same 50mm, though yours looks like a much cleaner copy. The rubber on mine has gone a tad white because it's been stored by my parents for many years and not seen the light of day that whole time.

One thing I'm wondering about is your adapter. I've got the RJ Camera adapter and the distance scale is positioned at the top, whereas, yours appears to be off centre. Or are you using a 4/3s to m4/3s adapter, with a Minolta to 4/3s adapter on top? I've found that the latter can often be hit and miss as far as alignment is concerned.

Cheers

Ray

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Ray Hi,

I am using the Pany DMW-MA1 m43 > 43 and the lens has a chinese adaptor
    43 > Minolta MC (forgot the name but a well known vendor on Ebay)

Yes scale is off center .. the Chinese adaptor is 3 piece held together by screws 120 degrees apart I don't think reassembly would correct things, pity.....:rolleyes:

I also have a 42mm to 43 (Pentax) Anything around in the Gem class from Pentax or perhaps 42mm Leica ??

Think will light the BBQ now :wink:

Cheers

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend Charter Member

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Yeah, I've got one of those adapters as well. Sometimes they're really good, other times just OK.

Just waiting for some of the best pizza around to be delivered. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

5. arcueid

arcueid Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2010
    wow, looks great:thumbup:
    and your lens seems to be in good hands too.

I do agree e-pl1 has a good package as a whole:biggrin:

6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    The PL1 is great for MF :wink:
    You can now get a m43 to minolta MC direct without the Pany adaptor, ordered one :cool:

7. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    my first slr was a minolta xg-m .....good times......and yes the lenses are wonderful

8. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I go back to the SRT101/303 pre AF era:smile: