1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Minolta MD to m43 adaptor arrived...

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Boyzo, May 20, 2010.

1. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Link here
    Minolta MD MC Lens t Micro 4/3 adapter E-P1 E-P2 G1 GF1 - eBay (item 250617503102 end time Jun-17-10 06:07:43 PDT)
    $29US

Its fine and lens orientation is correct, only problem is the Minolta bayonet is a very tight fit on the minolta lenses, finish is good (Black anodize)

The minolta Rokkors are real gems with superb build of that ERA ... engraved paint filled markings that never wear off (Unlike the screen printed effort of Oly and Pany on Plastic barrels)
    RayOz is a big fan of Rokkor (Hi Ray)

Little wonder people are so in love with Legacy lenses ...

Shot with the E-P2 / PL 45mm macro

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    That's a nice looking adapter. The one I have is the tapered type and doesn't look quite as stylish.

Cheers

Ray

3. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks Ray it looks good, I guess the Chinese NC machine shop has a good sideline going (when they are not machining Military stuff) :rofl:

4. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    great description of why those lenses are great ...they were built with a devotion to craft and quality that has almost disappeared , my first serious camera and lens were a minolta
    xg-m with a 50 mm 1.8 rokkor ...and with that lens i did everything on mostly slide film ,

they dont make em like that anymore , usually....but my voigtlanders are kinda nice engraved metal .. damped helicoids
    good build that makes my oly kit zoom feel like a happy meal toy

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    You'd be surprised to realise how much stuff comes off the same production lines in a Chinese factory. :biggrin:

And it's a pity that today's lenses just don't have the great feel you get with many of the older lenses.

Cheers

Ray

6. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    I do like modern AF lenses and some Pany examples are great the 20/45/14-140 and the 14-150 PL, its just the old Rokkors are just so underrated in terms of their glass .. they were the cream of the crop.

Today its all about zooms Pany /Oly need to come out with more Fast primes that focus close with MF/AF !!!....:wink:

7. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Yes Ray well aware of the HiTech facilities setup in China by Panasonic Olympus and many others German included.

Rumour has it the new small X1 BMW 4WD is made in China (This will make the Beemer set Choke on their Croissant and lattee):mad:

Certainly China is HiTech now cherning out toys for the west:biggrin:

8. genji

genji Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 20, 2010
    Thanks for this. As Ray said, these adapters look very stylish. At USD 23.99 - 24.50 (with free postage), it seems as though m4/3 adapters are becoming a commodity item. I have a bunch of different adapters now and they all cost much more than these ones which seem, from your photographs, to be nicely constructed and finished.

9. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Indeed quality is excellent (assuming correct design tolerances) modern NC machines (Automated) can produce small batches) at fine tolerances

10. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    That looks great! I have an adapter coming in the mail and 3 Minolta MD lenses waiting to be resurrected- a 50mm, a 28mm, and 70-210mm zoom.

11. scantron

scantron Mu-43 Regular

May 10, 2010
    Adapter arrived (from Rainbow Imaging), MD 50mm 1.7 now attached, much fun now being had!

12. thatp

thatp Mu-43 Rookie

May 27, 2010
    Bangkok
    Need advice on Carl Zeiss Jena MC 28-70mm

Hi,

I have a Carl Zeiss Jena MC Macro Zoom 20-70mm attached (directly) to a battered-up Minolta XD7 (see picture).

Does that mean the "Minolta MD MC Lens to Olympus Micro 4/3 adapter" will allow me to use the lens on my E-P2? Many thanks.

[​IMG]

13. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    If it's an MC/MD mount, then yes, it will work.

Cheers

Ray

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jim

Jim Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Mine came today. :)

I do seem to have the exact opposite problem to you Boyzo in the that MD mount is actually quite a loose fit and can actually be moved slightly in the mount.

I'm still happy to have it and frankly at £19 I'd be a pretty tough cookie to please if I wasn't.

Now I'm looking to buy a F1.4 50mm lens. :)

4681760451_b189401920_b.

4682390674_951d541380_b.

15. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    @Jim: I have a v nice MC Rokkor-X PG 50mm f1.4 (serial number 3776590) that I'm unlikely to use much now I've tracked down an MD 50mm f1.2. Excellent condition, v little paint loss, glass perfect apart from one v small cleaning mark on rear element, perfectly smooth focus & slick aperture ring. Interested?

16. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I also received the same adapter (from the same seller as linked at the top of the thread). Mine is also quite loose (on the lens end - it mounts well to the camera), which is rather annoying when trying to do subtle focus adjustments. Yes, it was cheap, but I'm still a little disappointed...

17. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Tighten mount on lens side

I had the same issue before with my adapter where it was loose on the lens side. I was able to remedy it easily though and the procedure may work for you as well.

First, here is my adapter. Even though it isn't the same one as what you guys have, it may be similar enough.

Looking at the lens side mount of the adapter, you will see gaps in the metal ring; there are 3 on mine. The strip of metal around each gap, particularly the side towards the the camera is what pushes the lens into the adapter.

Stabbing the gaps with a knife will expand them and bend the metal strip further towards the camera side; hence, pushing the lens tighter in to the adapter. Be careful when widening the gaps as I made them too wide on my adapter. The adapter became too tight and mounting lenses on it was difficult.

My adapter wasn't loose initially. Mounting a lens with an extra long metal tab made it loose (see knife point below). Upon mounting, the long tab resisted the lens from going into the lens further, and made the gaps really thin - the opposite of the solution. Grinding the tabs prevented it from being a problem any further.

I hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  18. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    That helped a lot, thanks :) I over-tightened mine, too, but it was easy enough to pinch the gap smaller with a pair of small pliers.

19. Jim

Jim Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2010
    Excellent tip Ronbot, thanks.

20. Stephan

Stephan Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 21, 2010
    Stavanger (Norway)
    Perfect! :2thumbs: Thanks, Ronbot. Cheers, Stephan