1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Minolta MD Rokkor-X 50mm f/1.4 on G2.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by DuClare, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Stunning pictures mate. I't would be nice If you were able to embed them into the forum so we can see them all together in their glory.

2. Very interesting portraits, although a little story to go with them would be appreciated. Plus what Icon said. The lens seems great!

3. Kammie

Kammie Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 18, 2011
    Cosplay awesomeness!
    How far were you standing? With fov of 100 mm i can imagine you needed to stand at least 3 meters away?

4. DuClare

DuClare Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    That's about right. 3-4m works fairly well, but sometimes in a crowded space, I'd struggle to clear two meters.. and this is probably the biggest issue with the lens. A fast 35-40mm would be superb for these places.

The other issue caused by the longish focal length is shake, which can make focusing harder, and which greatly reduces the low-light performance one would expect from an f/1.4 lens. Luckily the con was in a building with a tall room and lots of glass.

Despite these issues, I'm fairly content with the lens, especially considering its age and price (I paid 50-ish usd for this one). Looking at my photos from the con, it's clear that the biggest flaws come not from the lens, but from my sheer lack of experience. Bad framing and pictures that needed straightening were way too numerous.. just look at how I managed to chop off this girl's skirt in the third photo I linked. With lots of wasted space at the top. Sigh.

Another "whoops" was that I used the lens almost exclusively wide open, thinking the hexagonal aperture would make the bokeh busier than it already is. I did snap a few with the aperture stopped down a click or two, and the results were pretty good -- in fact, the bokeh got somewhat smoother while sharpness improved a lot.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DuClare

DuClare Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    Mm-hmm. Someone put a 1500px limit on the gallery pics. Mine are 1600x1200.. I'm not going to straighten, scale, sharpen, and compress these photos again to shave off 100 pixels. And I'm not sure it's a good idea to embed pics hosted on my home server.

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm not sure about the technicalities of it all but It seems to work fine when I embed my images on the forum from Flickr. Maybe Flickr changes the parameters of the image.

7. To resize images to 1024 pixels for embedding into threads like this;

HTML:
    [img]Insert image url here" width="1024">