Minolta MD Macro Options?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by phrenic, Jun 22, 2013.

1. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Hi folks,

I was looking at some macro options that would do double duty on my m43 and Fuji setups.

The 2 lenses I was looking at are the late model 100mm f4 with extension tube.
    Good condition, seemed pretty nice and light. 150$

This 100mm f4 on bellows:
    well, actually it was the cone version like this:

A little dinged up but looks like its all cosmetic. 100$.

So I'm not sure which way to go. I guess advantage of the bellows is ease of focusing on tripod with the rail. Better magnification? I guess I could use the bellows set-up for other lenses?

Advantage of the lens is that I can use it for more general purposes, can focus to infinity, easier to carry around outdoors?

Not sure if I'm missing anything. To be honest, I haven't found a whole lot about either of these lenses online and haven't seen too many samples. Seems to be the general idea that they are pretty decent performers, but not outstanding. Any recommendations or advice would be much appreciated!
  2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Also consider the 50mm f3.5 Minolta MD Macro - typically goes for a bit under $100 on ebay with the 1:1 tube. Should be more than decent.
  3. dancat

dancat Mu-43 Rookie

May 19, 2013
    I am using the 100mm f4 macro (no bellows). I am quite happy with it. It is the first real macro lens for me, so I am still learning how to use it.
    Never used one with bellows, so I cannot compare.

If you have any specific questions about the lens ping me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    I had the 100mm f4 lens (non-bellows) but sold it - I didn't find it worked well as a general-purpose medium telephoto, and it was pretty much impossible without a tripod - felt quite unbalanced hand-held on my G3, more so than (for instance) my 300mm Nikon which is twice the size and weight!
    The 50mm f3.5, on the other hand, is a gem - I love using it, with or without the 1:1 tube, and on or off a tripod.
    I'm very envious of your chance to acquire the bellows lens, especially for such a low price. My advice would be to go for that one, it'll give you much more control than the 100mm f4 lens would and since (IMHO) you need a tripod anyway...
  5. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Scored it for 85$. :)

It's in good shape and looks promising. Can't wait for the adapter to arrive. Thanks for the thoughts/recommendations!