Minolta MD adapter question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by patrick359, May 17, 2011.

1. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    I've been looking at adapters for my Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 (bought new in the 80's). The cheapo Chinese ones all appear to have a tiny set-screw in the camera-side mount, though it's hard to tell for sure from some of the pictures - suffice to say I haven't seen one that doesn't have something that looks like a set-screw. That bothers me - first, it indicates that the mounting is somewhat loose or poor quality, second I would think it might damage the camera body mount. So if you have one of these, does it have a set-screw? If so is it required to keep the adapter tight on the body?

The non-cheapo (ie quite expensive) alternative is the Novoflex, and I can't find a picture of its camera-side mount. I haven't found any other high-quality adapters for this lens.

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi,

I have several MD adapters. Most from Rainbow imaging. No issues with any of them..

Legacy_Test_Line_Up_Height.

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Same here, I have two MD adapters of different origin, both cheap and no problems.

4. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Wow, so many Minoltas, can u name them for us, thanks.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  6. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    like alan mentioned the rainbow imaging adapters work great on minolta lenses, they do focus a bit past infinite, but they work well.

7. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    I have 2 different adapters (MD and FD) both of them are make by Pixco (bought from different ebay sellers) and both of them work well too.

8. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks for replies. I'd still like to know if you have to tighten them onto the camera body with a set-screw, or do they work just like a regular lens mount (just twist on until slight click). :confused: 

Also, anyone tried a two adapter setup? That is, MD to 4/3, 4/3 to :43:?

9. Check the mount on your native lenses - there should be a similar screw on the outside of the mount just near where the lens contacts are. It is not to tighten the mount but I think to stop the lens from being over-rotated when it is mounted on the camera body.

I use/have used the following stacked adpaters:

m4/3 - Canon EF - Olympus OM
    m4/3 - Canon EF - M42
    m4/3 - Canon EF - Nikon F
    m4/3 - 4/3 - Olympus OM
    m4/3 - 4/3 - Nikon F
    m4/3 - 4/3 - M42

This is because of price and practicality. The 4/3 and Canon EF adapters are smaller and cheaper and I can use them on my Olympus 4/3 and Canon SLR bodies.

10. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    There's no such screw on the original lens mount. But I think you're right - it's a cheap way to provide a stop for the lens when mounting it. The original mount has a more complex design than what I see in pictures of adapters on Ebay.

11. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    the adapter has a tiny button, you press it down and turn the lens to take it out

12. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi, I've just received my Pixco MD adapter today. There is a little free play between the adapter and the lens although the connection between the adapter and the body is a good match.

How's your MD adapter?

13. This is the screw I assumed you were referring too. It or variations of it are present on all of my native lenses and adapters

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/ttlonline/m43/?action=view&amp;current=IMG_0082.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]

14. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    maybe this might help, but this is how my rainbow imagining adapter fits on my mc 50mm
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvNVYB5rvU]YouTube - ‪May 18, 2011 6:30 PM‬&rlm;[/ame]

there is little play in the lens with the adapter

• Like Like x 1
  15. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    Well from the electrical contacts I'm guessing that's a more recent automatic lens. Mines an 80's MD lens, no electronics. It doesn't have a screw like that (I just checked again).

16. You mentioned a small screw on the "camera-side mount" of the adapter, which should be physically the same as the mount of a Micro 4/3 lens as shown above, less the electrical contacts. If you're actually referring to the "lens-side mount" of the adapter then I have no clue as I don't have any Minolta lenses or m4/3-MD adapters.

17. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  18. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Yes. Both the PK-4/3 and OM-4/3 with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 and also the M42-PK on top of the PK-4/3. Nonetheless, I eventually went out and got separate M43 adapters for the legacy lenses I use most. Then I could leave the DMW-MA1 full time on a 4/3 lenses and not forget to bring it when I wanted that lens.

19. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    Yes you're right - although I did mean camera side, but that would be on the adapter not the lens, so my previous response was just confused :redface: Actually I don't have a native :43: lens to examine at the moment (body only), so your picture definitely answers my original question, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.