1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta MD adapter question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by patrick359, May 17, 2011.

1. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    I've been looking at adapters for my Minolta MD 50mm f1.7 (bought new in the 80's). The cheapo Chinese ones all appear to have a tiny set-screw in the camera-side mount, though it's hard to tell for sure from some of the pictures - suffice to say I haven't seen one that doesn't have something that looks like a set-screw. That bothers me - first, it indicates that the mounting is somewhat loose or poor quality, second I would think it might damage the camera body mount. So if you have one of these, does it have a set-screw? If so is it required to keep the adapter tight on the body?

The non-cheapo (ie quite expensive) alternative is the Novoflex, and I can't find a picture of its camera-side mount. I haven't found any other high-quality adapters for this lens.

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi,

I have several MD adapters. Most from Rainbow imaging. No issues with any of them..

Legacy_Test_Line_Up_Height.

• Like Like x 1
  3. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    Same here, I have two MD adapters of different origin, both cheap and no problems.

4. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Wow, so many Minoltas, can u name them for us, thanks.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
  6. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    like alan mentioned the rainbow imaging adapters work great on minolta lenses, they do focus a bit past infinite, but they work well.

7. maxsoul

maxsoul Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    I have 2 different adapters (MD and FD) both of them are make by Pixco (bought from different ebay sellers) and both of them work well too.

8. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    Thanks for replies. I'd still like to know if you have to tighten them onto the camera body with a set-screw, or do they work just like a regular lens mount (just twist on until slight click). :confused:

Also, anyone tried a two adapter setup? That is, MD to 4/3, 4/3 to :43:?

9. Check the mount on your native lenses - there should be a similar screw on the outside of the mount just near where the lens contacts are. It is not to tighten the mount but I think to stop the lens from being over-rotated when it is mounted on the camera body.

I use/have used the following stacked adpaters:

m4/3 - Canon EF - Olympus OM
    m4/3 - Canon EF - M42
    m4/3 - Canon EF - Nikon F
    m4/3 - 4/3 - Olympus OM
    m4/3 - 4/3 - Nikon F
    m4/3 - 4/3 - M42

This is because of price and practicality. The 4/3 and Canon EF adapters are smaller and cheaper and I can use them on my Olympus 4/3 and Canon SLR bodies.

10. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    There's no such screw on the original lens mount. But I think you're right - it's a cheap way to provide a stop for the lens when mounting it. The original mount has a more complex design than what I see in pictures of adapters on Ebay.

11. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    the adapter has a tiny button, you press it down and turn the lens to take it out

12. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Hi, I've just received my Pixco MD adapter today. There is a little free play between the adapter and the lens although the connection between the adapter and the body is a good match.

How's your MD adapter?

13. This is the screw I assumed you were referring too. It or variations of it are present on all of my native lenses and adapters

<a href="http://s883.photobucket.com/albums/ac33/ttlonline/m43/?action=view&amp;current=IMG_0082.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]

14. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    maybe this might help, but this is how my rainbow imagining adapter fits on my mc 50mm
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgvNVYB5rvU]YouTube - ‪May 18, 2011 6:30 PM‬&rlm;[/ame]

there is little play in the lens with the adapter

• Like Like x 1
  15. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    Well from the electrical contacts I'm guessing that's a more recent automatic lens. Mines an 80's MD lens, no electronics. It doesn't have a screw like that (I just checked again).

16. You mentioned a small screw on the "camera-side mount" of the adapter, which should be physically the same as the mount of a Micro 4/3 lens as shown above, less the electrical contacts. If you're actually referring to the "lens-side mount" of the adapter then I have no clue as I don't have any Minolta lenses or m4/3-MD adapters.

17. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  18. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    Yes. Both the PK-4/3 and OM-4/3 with the Panasonic DMW-MA1 and also the M42-PK on top of the PK-4/3. Nonetheless, I eventually went out and got separate M43 adapters for the legacy lenses I use most. Then I could leave the DMW-MA1 full time on a 4/3 lenses and not forget to bring it when I wanted that lens.

19. patrick359

patrick359 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 6, 2010
    Yes you're right - although I did mean camera side, but that would be on the adapter not the lens, so my previous response was just confused :redface: Actually I don't have a native :43: lens to examine at the moment (body only), so your picture definitely answers my original question, thanks.

• Like Like x 1