1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Minolta MD 50mm 1.4 jammed on adapter - How to remove?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by felipegeek, Jan 11, 2019.

1. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast Subscribing Member

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    Hello,

Apparently I was not paying attention the last time I mounted the lens on the adapter and got it mounted in an offset position. Now I can't remove it from the adapter. Any tips on separating the two, hopefully without damage?

2. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, some adapters can be disassembled... Which one do you have?

3. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @barry13@barry13 Thanks for the reply. It's a labeled as "Fotodiox MD-m4/3". Lens can partially rotate about 30-40 degrees in the adapter.

4. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have the Fotga adapter which may be a similar design... Mine has one tiny screw on the rear and several on the front... Removing the rear wouldn't help much, unless you want to drill the front screws out from the rear. Should be harmless to the lens.

You could also try some oil, but you might have to disassemble the lens and clean it after.

• Like Like x 1
  5. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I see the one small rear screw that is on the side of the adapter's rear M4/3 flange. The mount's screws are inaccessible. The screws I see inside the rear cavity belong to the Minolta lens. I peaked in with a flashlight and did not find any other releases other than the one sticking out on the side on the adapter.

6. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yeah... I'd try removing that rear screw and seeing how much of the back comes off (probably will have to rotate the back).

Or try oil.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Equable

Equable Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 2, 2017
    Jersey. Channel Islands
    Rod
    Heat sometimes works in situations like these. Put the lens in a freezer bag, or cut the neck off a child’s balloon and put the lens in, adapter side down. Using hot water and a suitably sized receptacle, put the lens (in it’s cover) in, making sure just the adapter is covered by the hot water.
    If the expansion caused by the heat is enough, you may be in luck. May not work at first try.

• Like Like x 1
  8. blumoon722

blumoon722 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Sarasota, Florida
    John
    When looking into the rear of the adapter, push the release button on the adapter.
    You should be able to see the piece that moves when pushing the button.
    Maybe you could use a small screwdriver the pry the locking tab out of its stuck position.

• Like Like x 1
  9. felipegeek

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    I got it off by exerting more outward pull out as I rotated it and it came out. I checked the alignment and remounted and removed without issue. On looking inside I noticed where the lens flanges and the adapters tension springs were in different positions. It seems that the adapter can be mounted in the wrong orientation but I'm not about to test that theory. I'm going to paint a marker on the side as the only orientation indicator is a tiny red dot on the lens facing side that I would not notice if not paying enough attention or see in dim lighting.

Thank you all for your prompt and helpful tips.

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.