1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Minolta lens on E-PM1???

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kyphotoguy, Oct 2, 2012.

1. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Is it possible to use my old Minolta lens that were on my Maxxum5 on the EPM1?

If not what 4/3 Olympus would be good for them?

I still use my Nikon D40 but would like to get something for my old Miny lens without spending an arm and a leg.

The EPM1 will probably go off to college with my daughter.

Thanks for having me!

Is there an adapter I can buy on eBay? I am pretty sure you can get one for the E-PL1

2. gunky

gunky Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 2, 2012
  3. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    Or you could just buy an adapter...you'll find them on eBay, the seller I have purchased all my adapters from is rainbow imaging. Fair prices, fast shipping.

PS Welcome to the forum.

4. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    I found the adapter on eBay.

Will one for the E-PL1 work?

Only manual focus will work with them right?

5. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Canada
    An adapter for m4/3 will work with any m4/3 camera, disregard if it lists certain models as if it works on any one model it will work with the rest.

6. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    I would completely disregard this for what your asking about. Konica and Minolta did not use the same mount in this period, and the article relates to adapting to 4/3 body, not m4/3. Maxxum cameras used Minolta AF lenses. I actually had some myself but ended up selling them because there is no good way to control the aperture. You can buy an adapter to the Minolta AF mount but none work very well from my research into it. If you have a large collection of Minolta stuff a Sony DSLR would be the best thing to have.

Edit: The rainbow imaging one does apparently have an aperture ring. It's guess work to know what the aperture is at. I was able to get pretty good money for Minolta AF glass and use it towards my 45mm when I got that. The full manual stuff does work quite well though.

7. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    So my Minolta AF lens are useless with this camera?

Been wanting an A57 anyways.

8. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    You can technically use them with an adapter. Just no confirmed aperture control/af/etc. because there is no electrical connection.

A sony body would certainly give you the best results with these lenses.

9. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    Will the Sony NX3 accept my lens?

Thanks

10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    You'd need a Sony A-Mount adapter for full usage. The Sony store has it right now for $200, but normally it's closer to $300.

LA-EA1 | Alpha NEX Camera Mount Adapter | Sony | Sony Store USA

I also thought about that.. How many and which Minolta AF lenses do you have? Really have to consider the cost when those lenses aren't going to outperform most modern optics. Plus you have a 1.5x crop factor to consider so if your trying to take advantage of wide glass it just won't be there.

11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Edit: whats danska said :D

Seems the newer adapter la-ea2, is currently the recommended one due to much faster AF. Should also work on the NEX 3.

12. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
  13. kyphotoguy

kyphotoguy Mu-43 Regular

Oct 2, 2012
    So it is possible to use my AF but they will be totally manual with no way to control ap.

I think I will enjoy the E-PM1 with kit lens and my CCTV for now. I am going to get a newer Sony Alpha body and will likely get a Nikon D3200.

My daughter was needing a good, easy to use slr with HD video capabilities and that is why I bought EMP1. The depth in field with video gives her the look she will need.

14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Advise her to turn off IS in video mode. That should be an auto default in the settings with six nag screens asking "Do you really want IS turned on in video". You don't.