1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

minolta hi-matic 40mm 1.7 lens adapted to m43

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jdumas, May 31, 2011.

1. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

This is my current project. I got a cheap hi-matic from a friend and decided to try my luck at adapting the lens to m43.

I used a c mount adapter that is machined to a larger diameter to accept the lens.

I made a .130" spacer this morning at work to achieve the correct focus distance and will assemble the lens again tonight and test.

I will add test shots from the lens later if there is any interest.

The pics are my initial mock to see if it was physically possible.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Spaceghost33

Spaceghost33 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Well done!

I'm anxious to see some sample shots. I've wondered when someone would try this. The Minolta lens is so nice on the Hi-Matic. I have a 7SII (that I won't be tearing apart :smile:).

3. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Very cool! I used to shoot with a 7sII in high school. I'd love to see some sample images from this setup.

4. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Rev B

Here is some quick sample shots after using the new shim "washer" I made today. I super glued the mount and washer to to lens focus helix so I can make further modifications before making it permanent.

Before
    P5223146-L.

After
    P5303449-L.

f1.7
    P5303412-2-L.

100% crop
    P5303412-L.

f1.7
    P5253168-L.

f1.7
    P5253165-L.

f11
    P5303397-L.

One neat aspect is it can now close focus to around 6 inches instead of the 3 feet on the Hi-Matic, while still maintaining infinite focus.

f1.7
    P5303396-L.

f2.8
    P5303379-L.

All photos lightly processed in LR3.

I will post more shots here as they come along.

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 4
  5. Some of the fixed lenses rangefinders of that era had some seriously impressive lenses. This one obviously, various Canonets, Olympus SP & RD, Yashica GS, etc. It's a shame it such a difficult and probably irreversible task to remove them and adapt them to Micro 4/3 .

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

Very true Luckypenguin, I enjoy the challenge of converting lenses. This project has been fun. I went over it for 5 days after taking the camera apart before finding an easy way to do it.

I own a mint canon QL GIII that I still shoot regularly and it never disappoints. I think I will keep the lens on that one indefinitely :smile:
    1110824757_nNaM5-L.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Yes, please do NOT take that GIII apart if it is is still firing away. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

LOL, I would never! I bought it locally off Craigslist.com from the son of an old pro photog here in SLC after he died.

I love my GIII and still process and print BW photos the traditional way when I have a space to do it.

A film shot of my wife and the GIII to sidetrack the thread...
    img093-copy-2-L.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Great, now I have to go find a non-working 7SII and try this on my own. ;-) Would love to see a step-by-step or how to post for this. I can already feel the prices for old rangefinders of that era going up in price on eBay!

11. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

I will post a step-by-step with pics here as soon as I work out a few more bugs and finish it up.

I am going to shoot some outdoor portraits of my wife today with the lens, I will post them here tomorrow.

Thanks again for looking!

• Like Like x 2
  12. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    You made my day!

Jdumas, that would be most appreciated. :smile:

13. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

A couple from this afternoon with my wife. I am think this one is a keeper.

f2.0
    P5313484-L.

f2.8
    P5313497-L.

What do you think?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Spaceghost33

Feb 23, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Christopher Stelter
    Great shots!!

15. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

It has been a while since I updated this because I still have not fully finished the lens but so far it has held together through the first part of summer with just super glue. I think I can still provide some specifics on how to construct it and work up your own solution.

Semi-Finished lens.
    IMG0853-L.

I used a RJ Camera C-Mount to M4/3 adapter. I machined the adapter to accept the lens to just under 1 1/2" ID.
    Mount side.

[​IMG][/IMG]

The spacer or "washer" you can see in between the mount and the lens is easily constructed by using 1/8" aluminum plate or a similar material. Outside diameter depends on your particular brand of adapter but the inside diameter is the same size as the modified adapter just under 1 1/2" ID.

IMG0867-L.

IMG0865-L.

Then, what I did was to super glue the focus helix and focus scale assembly to the spacer then glue the spacer to the mount.

IMG0859-L.

IMG0857-L.

IMG0869-L.

I have it pretty close in case I need to zone focus.

Where I get infinity focus.
    IMG0860-L.

Fishing at infinity.
    P6043625-L.

The lens at the new modified semi-macro minimum focus distance.
    IMG0861-L.

P6103731-L.

P6103744-L.

And some actions shots when my cousin took me out for my birthday.
    P6163961-M.

P6163953-L.

P6163968-L.

I have been having a lot of fun with this lens. It is very light and small, perfect for travel.

The aperture control workaround is a whole different story... As is the minimum focus stop, it sucks when half your lens comes off in your hand:thumbup:

I will post more about the lens here soon.

Thanks for looking!

• Like Like x 4