Minolta Dimage Scan Dual ll

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BillN, May 26, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Just picked up a Minolta Dimage Scan Dual ll -Neg and slide scanner - old but still supposed to be good

Snow Leopard does not like the supplied software - says that it does not support the "classic" environment

Vuescan is a recommended software - but I would like to get the thing working before I pay - so ideally I would like some Minolta software that works with my mac operating system

Any ideas - I've searched the web

2. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    I've got one like that. It's a spawn of the devil. I keep a Beige Mac G3 with system 8 alive especially for it.

3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Try Vuescan on a trial basis. I recommend it - it even installed a driver for my 'ancient' Epson 2400 that is not supported by Win 7.

4. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I can always use my PC - Win XP - no problems - but I thought that the Mac would be "up to it" - but apparently not!!!

I still have an old iMac Graphite and a G3 somewhere in the loft

5. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Mauve - how does this thing work

runs on the PC OK - BUT - I keep getting the Error = 36 "please set holder properly"

do you push the negative holder right into the unit and close the door - or does the unit pull the slide holder in and move it along

I've tried every way and still get the error message

tried it will Photoshop and as a stand alone

as you said "spawn of the devil" - beginning to "eat my words"

Cheers

Bill

6. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Normally, you slightly push the holder inside until the scanner "grabs" it and pull it on its own. Looks like a hardware problem to me. From various reports, this isn't the most reliable piece of junk in the world, and sometimes opening it leads to loose dangling cables discoveries.

This said, if you manage to get it back to work with Minolta drivers, scan everything as colour slides. The driver will otherwise set too high the black point, drowning the shadows. The good thing with slides is the film base is 100% transparent, so the driver won't adjust the black point for you. Just invert the image if your doing colour film, and greyscale for b&w with a bit of curve tweaking afterward. Vuescan handles this much better.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Mauve - the small motor or whatever that pulls the holder into the unit does not appear to work - I think that it is quite noisy when it works - also the eject button does not work

I have tried it on three PCs - same results - non functioning unit - sets itself up OK, software wise, but then does not operate and throws out an error code

Oh well I thought that I had a "good buy" - so it's back to the gut who sold it to me, (not EBay), so I should be OK.

Cheers

8. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    First choice Vuescan trial, second choice virtual machine on your mac running windows. Classic won't work on intel Macs.

9. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Thanks Lisa - tried it on three separate PC,s , (did not bother about the Mac although I have Parallel), with the Minolta software and also Vuescan - finds the scanner OK but the scanner will not "whirr" into life - most frustrating and I was looking forward to playing around with a few negative.

10. LisaO

LisaO Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 18, 2010
    New York Metro Area
    Lisa
    Sounds like an issue with the scanner if If didn't work on 3 machines.