Minolta AF lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by scd, May 11, 2010.

1. scd

scd New to Mu-43

May 11, 2010
    Hi, I'm wanting to use an old Minolta AF lens (from my Maxxum/Dynax 5xi) on the Panasonic gf1.
    Do I simply need to buy an adapter?
    If so, which one do you recommend?
    Also, if the focus range is 28-80mm, does this equal 14-40mm on the m43 cameras?

thanks.

2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I am using my old Minolta AF lenses on my E-PL1 using an adapter bought on eBay from Hong Kong (I got the cheapest I could find, 22€!).
    It works, allowing me to change aperture, and focus is manual.
    Equivalent focal length is double (so my 75-300 looks like 150-600).
    Beware of low light if your lens is not fast. IS on my E-PL1 helps, but not as much as I hoped.
    You can see some of my results here

Hope this helps, enjoy shooting.

3. scd

scd New to Mu-43

May 11, 2010
    Thanks. I don't actually own the camera yet, I am just doing some research.

Ahhh so the 28-80 would look like 56-160 on the m43 camera? not 14-40? That's still confusing me..

How fast is your 75-300? I think I have that lens too. I have to check, it's been a while since I used it. Need to dust it off ;)

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You'll need an adapter, have a look here for what's available: https://www.mu-43.com/f35/legacy-lens-adapters-2750/.

Before you get an adapter, make sure that the lens has a manually ajustable aperture, or else you'll be shooting wide open all the time.

Cheers

Ray

5. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    My 75-300 is f/4.5-5.6.
    On focal length: yes, the kit lens on my E-PL1 is a 14-42 which looks like 28-84.
    If you look around I am sure there is a good explanation about all this

6. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Just picked up a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with 50mm f/1.4 in ex condition for $10. The AF lens doesn't have an apaerture adjust ring.

The adapters I've found say they have an aperture ring, but looking at them, the ring just says "Open - Lock". No calibration markings.

Are they adjustable, or will they just allow wide open?

Pretty sure I can sell it for more than $10 to the Sony crowd if a proper :43: adapter isn't available. :biggrin:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You will only be able to shoot wide open with those lenses unless you can find an adapter which includes its own aperture ring. I don't know if there are any available for the Alpha Mount. You're better off with the old Minolta MC or MD mount lenses, which do have manual apertures and have a great selection of wonderful glass. The Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha line uses the same mount as the Sony Alpha cameras. Same proprietary hotshoe too. :(

I was a big-time Minolta shooter back in the day, but even I don't like the Alpha line. I'm not sure if it'll be worth the hassle to adapt just one lens. Maybe if you had a whole collection...

Of course, I've never had the desire to try adapting Alpha lenses to my m4/3 cameras so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Thanks - looks like they're going for $225 or so @Keh and fleabay, I'll put it on Craigslist and put the proceeds towards a native lens.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Smart choice. :) An Alpha user will enjoy the lens, whether they're using a Sony or an late-model Minolta. I think that's a better use for the lens, and that will go a long ways towards a native lens for you. That's over half of an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, lol. xD

We can probably thank Sony for keeping the Alpha mount alive, thus keeping up the resale value of late Minolta AF lenses. ;)

10. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    And exactly half the corp discount price of the Summilux 25...

11. chicks

chicks Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    The Big Valley, CA
    Just sold to a NEX-7 owner, who had a motorized adapter for these lenses. He's happy, I'm very happy - covered the cost of all my thrift store MF lenses AND their adapters. :)