Minolta AF lenses

scd

New to Mu-43
Hi, I'm wanting to use an old Minolta AF lens (from my Maxxum/Dynax 5xi) on the Panasonic gf1.
Do I simply need to buy an adapter?
If so, which one do you recommend?
Also, if the focus range is 28-80mm, does this equal 14-40mm on the m43 cameras?

thanks.

Alf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I am using my old Minolta AF lenses on my E-PL1 using an adapter bought on eBay from Hong Kong (I got the cheapest I could find, 22€!).
It works, allowing me to change aperture, and focus is manual.
Equivalent focal length is double (so my 75-300 looks like 150-600).
Beware of low light if your lens is not fast. IS on my E-PL1 helps, but not as much as I hoped.
You can see some of my results here

Hope this helps, enjoy shooting.

scd

New to Mu-43
Thanks. I don't actually own the camera yet, I am just doing some research.

Ahhh so the 28-80 would look like 56-160 on the m43 camera? not 14-40? That's still confusing me..

How fast is your 75-300? I think I have that lens too. I have to check, it's been a while since I used it. Need to dust it off ;)

chicks

Mu-43 All-Pro
Before you get an adapter, make sure that the lens has a manually ajustable aperture, or else you'll be shooting wide open all the time.
Just picked up a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with 50mm f/1.4 in ex condition for $10. The AF lens doesn't have an apaerture adjust ring.

The adapters I've found say they have an aperture ring, but looking at them, the ring just says "Open - Lock". No calibration markings.

Are they adjustable, or will they just allow wide open?

Pretty sure I can sell it for more than $10 to the Sony crowd if a proper :43: adapter isn't available. :biggrin:

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
You will only be able to shoot wide open with those lenses unless you can find an adapter which includes its own aperture ring. I don't know if there are any available for the Alpha Mount. You're better off with the old Minolta MC or MD mount lenses, which do have manual apertures and have a great selection of wonderful glass. The Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha line uses the same mount as the Sony Alpha cameras. Same proprietary hotshoe too. :(

I was a big-time Minolta shooter back in the day, but even I don't like the Alpha line. I'm not sure if it'll be worth the hassle to adapt just one lens. Maybe if you had a whole collection...

Of course, I've never had the desire to try adapting Alpha lenses to my m4/3 cameras so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

chicks

Mu-43 All-Pro
Thanks - looks like they're going for $225 or so @Keh and fleabay, I'll put it on Craigslist and put the proceeds towards a native lens.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
Smart choice. :) An Alpha user will enjoy the lens, whether they're using a Sony or an late-model Minolta. I think that's a better use for the lens, and that will go a long ways towards a native lens for you. That's over half of an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, lol. xD

We can probably thank Sony for keeping the Alpha mount alive, thus keeping up the resale value of late Minolta AF lenses. ;)

chicks

Mu-43 All-Pro
Just sold to a NEX-7 owner, who had a motorized adapter for these lenses. He's happy, I'm very happy - covered the cost of all my thrift store MF lenses AND their adapters. :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom