Minolta AF lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by scd, May 11, 2010.

1. scd

scd New to Mu-43

May 11, 2010
    Hi, I'm wanting to use an old Minolta AF lens (from my Maxxum/Dynax 5xi) on the Panasonic gf1.
    Do I simply need to buy an adapter?
    If so, which one do you recommend?
    Also, if the focus range is 28-80mm, does this equal 14-40mm on the m43 cameras?

thanks.

2. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    I am using my old Minolta AF lenses on my E-PL1 using an adapter bought on eBay from Hong Kong (I got the cheapest I could find, 22€!).
    It works, allowing me to change aperture, and focus is manual.
    Equivalent focal length is double (so my 75-300 looks like 150-600).
    Beware of low light if your lens is not fast. IS on my E-PL1 helps, but not as much as I hoped.
    You can see some of my results here

Hope this helps, enjoy shooting.

3. scd

scd New to Mu-43

May 11, 2010
    Thanks. I don't actually own the camera yet, I am just doing some research.

Ahhh so the 28-80 would look like 56-160 on the m43 camera? not 14-40? That's still confusing me..

How fast is your 75-300? I think I have that lens too. I have to check, it's been a while since I used it. Need to dust it off ;) 

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You'll need an adapter, have a look here for what's available: https://www.mu-43.com/f35/legacy-lens-adapters-2750/.

Before you get an adapter, make sure that the lens has a manually ajustable aperture, or else you'll be shooting wide open all the time.

Cheers

Ray

5. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
    My 75-300 is f/4.5-5.6.
    On focal length: yes, the kit lens on my E-PL1 is a 14-42 which looks like 28-84.
    If you look around I am sure there is a good explanation about all this

6. chicks

chicks Mu-43 All-Pro

Just picked up a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with 50mm f/1.4 in ex condition for $10. The AF lens doesn't have an apaerture adjust ring.

The adapters I've found say they have an aperture ring, but looking at them, the ring just says "Open - Lock". No calibration markings.

Are they adjustable, or will they just allow wide open?

Pretty sure I can sell it for more than $10 to the Sony crowd if a proper :43: adapter isn't available. :biggrin:

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    You will only be able to shoot wide open with those lenses unless you can find an adapter which includes its own aperture ring. I don't know if there are any available for the Alpha Mount. You're better off with the old Minolta MC or MD mount lenses, which do have manual apertures and have a great selection of wonderful glass. The Minolta Maxxum/Dynax/Alpha line uses the same mount as the Sony Alpha cameras. Same proprietary hotshoe too. :( 

I was a big-time Minolta shooter back in the day, but even I don't like the Alpha line. I'm not sure if it'll be worth the hassle to adapt just one lens. Maybe if you had a whole collection...

Of course, I've never had the desire to try adapting Alpha lenses to my m4/3 cameras so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

• Like Like x 1
  8. chicks

chicks Mu-43 All-Pro

Thanks - looks like they're going for $225 or so @Keh and fleabay, I'll put it on Craigslist and put the proceeds towards a native lens.

9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Smart choice. :)  An Alpha user will enjoy the lens, whether they're using a Sony or an late-model Minolta. I think that's a better use for the lens, and that will go a long ways towards a native lens for you. That's over half of an m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, lol. xD

We can probably thank Sony for keeping the Alpha mount alive, thus keeping up the resale value of late Minolta AF lenses. ;) 

10. chicks

chicks Mu-43 All-Pro

And exactly half the corp discount price of the Summilux 25...

11. chicks

chicks Mu-43 All-Pro

Just sold to a NEX-7 owner, who had a motorized adapter for these lenses. He's happy, I'm very happy - covered the cost of all my thrift store MF lenses AND their adapters. :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.