Minolta A5 blues, what is the problem?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Kosta, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Hey guys

I recently scored a minolta a5 and it seemed to be in great working condition, here is my problem I can't seem to solve:

On a roll of fuji superia reala 100 (36 exposures), the camera clocks in well over 36 shots - and I'm not talking 38-40..probably closer to 100 before the film finishes.
    I've watched the film advance lever crank the film through no problems, and the shot counter seems on the money.

Anyone Know what this could be?

2. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I would guess the film is only intermittently advancing, or it's only partially advancing due to slippage somewhere in the transport mechanism. I expect you will see a lot of multiple exposures or overlapping frames when you develop the film.

3. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Thanks john, I'm thinking the same thing so I'm getting the film developed today.
    I can see the rewind button underneath cycle in and out twice whilst the film is advancing but watching the film - it looks like it's rolling complee frames per wind.

Find out soon!

4. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    luckily the guy at the Big W developed the negatives for me for free...there were about 4-5 frames of multi-exposed shots. :(

anyone know how to solve this sort of issue?

5. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    i've found the culprit: the sprocket that takes up the film onto the roll (under the advance lever) doesn't resist a dragging force - that is, if there is load on it when you advance the film, it wont turn forwards it will just stay put.

Anybody come across this issue before?

6. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    ok, ok...UPDATE

embarrassingly, the problem was due to my inexperience in loading film, and having it "catch" properly onto the film advance spool - here I was thinking the film advance sprocket was the issue....let's see if this roll works.

Lesson no.1, how to load film properly.:redface:

7. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Don't worry, it's an ancient skill that many of us are losing and many more will never have. :biggrin:

8. dko22

dko22 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    Stuttgart, Germany
    I used to have that problem with a lovely wee Minox GL and eventually after going digital finished up getting rid of it. Still don't whether it was user stupidity or a mechanical fault that caused it. Shame I didn't persist really as it was probably my favourite camera so far

9. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    it's probably showing my generation though, my mother (teaches arts/photography) said let me have a look at it as i was loading the film...

"make sure it hooks into here!" - solved the problem!

10. goldenlight

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    At least you now know why 35mm film has sprocket holes top and bottom, it's not just to get an authentic film look when the whole thing is scanned! :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kosta

Kosta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 29, 2010
    Australia
    Update:
    Ok, it's not just me i dont think, the film advance spool is slipping under load. Somehow I'm going to have to take the bottom and top plates off to have a took at the gears...i think there may be some wear or something not sitting quite right....or i detach the backing plate which keeps the film flat onto the exposure area...

I should ask an expert!