1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta 90mm f/4 M-Rokkor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by OzRay, Mar 25, 2010.

1. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    [​IMG]

Cheers

Ray

2. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Very nice, I like that shot Ray, dappled light is very nice to work with.

How do you like that lens btw

I have a few MC rokkor's from my SLR days pretty good lenses in their day, they are heavy (brass aluminum) construction and focus ring is viscous smooth.

My Rokkor Minolta system book shows 2 gems
    1. 85/1.7
    2. 100/2.5

The 2X crop factor does not always favor legacy lenses.

ie I have a 28/3.5 (56/3.5) not all that useful
    Whereas the 50/1.4 or the 135/3.5 are.. the 50 is the most useful.

Of course the Pen series with IBIS is a real bonus with legacy lenses

I tend to be spoiled with AF these days ;-)

3. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks, it was the light, shade and texture that grabbed me and made a fairly mundane object look a bit interesting. The M-Rokkor is actually a Leica M Mount lens, much the same as a Leica Elmar 90mm f4. It really can give a nice feel to certain images.

I'm a Minolta user from way back, but sold off most of my stuff years ago. I still have my SRT 303 and 50mm f1.4, but I've also scored from Ebay a mint 135mm f2.8, 100mm f2.5, 35mm f1.8 and a 50mm 3.5 macro with extension tube (all of these combined for less than it would have cost for a new 14-42mm). There's just something about the Minolta lenses that makes me like the results much more than any other SLR brand and I have Nikon and Pentax as well.

I think I'm becoming a lens whore. :biggrin:

Cheers

Ray

4. Boyzo

Boyzo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks Ray..

Yes right about the light in that pic .. sometimes you just look around and its there the light the scene ideal even with ordinary objects :smile:

That 90/4 would be a good lens then ..

Now that bunch of Rokkor lenses are pretty cool even with 2X crop factor, they are all fast apart from the macro lens, you did well.

I would NOT feel guilty owning them :rofl:
    Have fun

I still have my SRT303 .. mirror lost some silvering but still Ok

The MC Rokkor's were never as highly regarded as the Nikon/Canon in those days .. unjustified .. if I recall .. things a bit dim now :wink: Pentax with the Takumars boasted special multi-coating but then Minolta came up with an additional coating to improve greens .. of course Nikon/Canon were into Multicoating then too .. who was first I think it was Pentax.. of course coating was used way back in early days .. but it was the Multi-Coating that was the big deal.

Today M/C is all HoHum and a matter of course.

5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The Minolta lenses have always been underrated, but they have had some of the best optics bar none. Minolta was also one of the few camera manufacturers that had their own optical foundries from what I understand. Poor management decisions killed a once great camera manufacturer.

Cheers

Ray

6. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey awesome Ozray. I enjoy the colours the light brings out in the wood. Is the light from the sun or did you shine it artificially? Nice pic, would make a good desktop picture i reckon. I can see where the white ants have left their tracks. Probably left in haste knowing their happy hunting ground could be used to keep Ozray warm in the upcoming winter.:smile:

icon

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Thanks. That was just natural sunlight filtering through the trees at our campsite. It only lasted a few minutes and I was awake enough to get a few shots. Unfortunately, that beautiful spot is closed for the winter.

Cheers

Ray

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Just another shot taken in the back yard while sitting around the chiminea with a nice glass of red. Hmm? What's with the timber theme? The more I use this lens, the more I'm really begining to appreciate what it can do.

[​IMG]

OK, here's a shot of our hounds, Tas and Jenna, relaxing on their thrones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers

Ray