Showcase Minolta 58mm f/1.4 MC Rokkor-PF

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
f2, ISO640, and an attempt at organic processing - it took a little PP work but I think it has captured the mood and era of this lens. I'm waiting on my focal reducer but I can see I'm going to enjoy this one. And my goodness, depth of field is shallow. I can't wait to turn it into an 85mm f1.0 equivalent!

P6210011-Edit.jpg

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
f2, ISO640, and an attempt at organic processing - it took a little PP work but I think it has captured the mood and era of this lens. I'm waiting on my focal reducer but I can see I'm going to enjoy this one. And my goodness, depth of field is shallow. I can't wait to turn it into an 85mm f1.0 equivalent!

View attachment 548154

I think you'll love it!

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
I think you'll love it!
Thanks for your purchasing advice :) I'll keep my eyes open for swirly options too!

It is certainly soft wide open but can be made acceptable with some heavy duty sharpening; and the grain it produces to my eyes doesn't look out of place in the character of this lens. It's certainly not a run and gun option for me, but slow, considered, posed portraits will be just fine.

Last edited:

rmcnelly

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks for your purchasing advice :) I'll keep my eyes open for swirly options too!

It is certainly soft wide open but can be made acceptable with some heavy duty sharpening; and the grain it produces to my eyes doesn't look out of place in the character of this lens. It's certainly not a run and gun option for me, but slow, considered, posed portraits will be just fine.

I think the sharpness is there but the low contrast masks it, and can be pulled out in post processing.

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
My lens turbo ii arrived today and it makes a real difference to the sharpness. This was shot wide open at f/1.0 - it's not going to win artistry awards but look at that bokeh.

P6240020.jpg

And then another shot of the little one wide open - she doesn't just sit on the sofa all day but it is useful when trying to test a manual focus lens! This is going to be a firm favourite.

P6240019-Edit.jpg

ionian

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Simon
A couple more of my family - these have had no post processing save a crop and a bit of sharpening, otherwise SOOC raw. Taken with the lens turbo ii and stopped down one click for the first (so that's f1.4 i think), and two clicks for the second (f1.8? f2? not sure). Interestingly, the thing that has made the biggest improvement to the rendering of the lens was buying a lens hood - i got a screw-on 55mm hood from Amazon and it has completely solved the contrast issue. I'd recommend it if you buy this lens, look how sharp and contrasty the eyes are in these shots, but how soft the nose and ears are as they come out of the plain of focus.

P7010135.jpg

P7010131.jpg