Showcase Minolta 58mm f/1.2 Rokkor MC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Leesound, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    On a GH2:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekerr/5650029053/" title="QP April by leekerr, on Flickr"> 5650029053_68f6df5635_z. "640" height="360" alt="QP April"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekerr/5650020861/" title="Qp April by leekerr, on Flickr"> 5650020861_1f6b1a18c7_z. "640" height="360" alt="Qp April"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekerr/5650004865/" title="QP April by leekerr, on Flickr"> 5650004865_d36d52036e_z. "640" height="360" alt="QP April"></a>

• Like Like x 12
  2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Beautiful bokeh.

3. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    Again, got this lovely lens out for a session video filming to test Flomotion V2 hack (simply stunning) and fallen in love again with it's heavy, chunky beautiful operation - so good - this particular lens is old and been cherished - it's like new - it's yellowing via some Thorium activity, but so lovely - bokeh king bar non.
    Mr Powell's V2 Flowmotion is simply stunning - spans, works, low GOP, peeking a frame - pristine - it is THE patch currently IMHO (respect to Nick with the Driftwood patches) but this is clean - no banding, detail, job done!fun times :)

4. DaveL

DaveL Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Rhode Island
    First day with 58 1.2

I picked up a Min Rokkor 58 1.2 locally for--- I still can't believe it- $75. Total with the adaptor around $100. Adaptor came yesterday- fist shots today.:smile: chair_58_1_2-1.

• Like Like x 4
  5. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    It's like a supermodel ex girlfriend lol - been on a Zeiss expedition so it's been sat in my bag, and been in the studio for months, but got the little beauty out after you posted - good lord it's so so lovely - bit like going back to listen to The Beatles after a while away - even though you know they're damn good - so thanks! It's locked onto my GH2 now till the end of summer /chapeau

Well done on the cheap buy - truly lifetime steal - love this lens - not the 1.2 aperture it's just .... can't explain ! Classy in every way :)

6. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    Does anyone have experience with this lens and a Voigtländer Nokton 17.5mm or 25mm? I would love to hear a comparison.

7. Leesound

Leesound Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2011
    London
    Like most of these subjective lens tests - I relate them to my industry that I work in daily - post production - music - guitar - amps - mics etc - modern lenses are manufactured crafted delivery - if you want Hendrix or Beatles - go crazy and buy the amazing legacy glass - had Contax Zeiss, ZF, Konica, Minolta, Canon et al, and modern Panasonic - missus hates me for my diversions and lens buying , but the ones that left me with some kind of "nice" were Contax and for me Rokkor Minolta my favourite - I work every day "making" films - Harry Potter Cold Mountain Gravity etc . etc.- the filmic "maker" thing makes me chuckle - if you actually cheaply want similar lenses buy old Contax - same bodies - same lens as those used. In the end just fook off and make films ignore the blogger numpties - you do know who they are ;p You want to make films don't listen to arty farty numpties who've made **** all, who blog gear - film stuff - making film is people and story - no more. You'll hire the bits of plastic and people pointing them - don't let the blogger nuts drag you into buying them gear . TTFN and good luck ! /wave

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Just got this lens for a steal at a thrift store ($30). Played around with it a bit, and even at higher ISO's is just sooo nice. All of these are wide open and SOOC jpegs.

tumblr_mx9gluU1nO1rkpvlwo1_1280.

tumblr_mx9gjfchLo1rkpvlwo2_1280.

And a couple to show just how shallow this can get. The first one has my son's forehead in focus, but not his eyes. And I was trying to hold steady after zooming in to 8x. This was almost at MFD.

tumblr_mx9gluU1nO1rkpvlwo4_1280.

And one from further back, with that signature look.

tumblr_mx9gluU1nO1rkpvlwo2_1280.

Planning on shooting this and the 581.4 next to each other to do a comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  9. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    David
    How old is your baby? I'm not talking about the 1.2...... Lucky man in many aspects.

10. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Um, today makes (quick counting on fingers...) 12 days old. The fuzzy baby is about 8 :tongue:.

11. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Very nice! I want this lens! Those shots are wide open? Look very good!

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yes, all shot wide open in my basement with three cfls on a strip for lighting. Hence the relatively higher ISO. Cant wait to see what I can do with a bit of post processing. Will take a picture end on, to show exactly how massive this hunk o'glass actually is.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. bredman

bredman Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 30, 2013
    Sherwood Forest
    Pete
    I quite like this one from today. Mounted on the EM1 at f1.2 adapted with a Metabones speedbooster. Natural light.

13249841384_7351bfb9bb_b.

• Like Like x 7
  14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I have the 'PG' version of the Rokkor 58mm f/1.2...

E4027389-ebony ivory 58mm Rokkor 1200px-1.

• Like Like x 4
  15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    E7029049-lights fountain bokeh 58mm f1.2 Rokkor NO EC. Fountains

• Like Like x 4
  16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    E7029071-whats your sleep number_ 1200px RT.

• Like Like x 2
  17. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    I took my f1.4 in for repair today and the guy repairing it was working on the 1.2 when I got there! @barry13@barry13 - can you see a noticeable difference between the f1.4s and f1.2? I am dreaming of finding it in a garage sale somewhere...

18. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,
    I'm traveling now, but remind me here at the end of the week and I'll post a sample for the 1.2 here.
    I already posted the equivalent one from the 1.4 in that thread.
    -- I did some test shots at MFD (with medium and far backgrounds) on both lenses and the bokeh differences were minimal to my eye. The 1.2 may be sharper stopped down, which matches what I've read.
    Note MFD is not a great test for bokeh for portraits, but I wanted a controlled environment and the only portraits I shoot are candids.

Anyways...
    The reason I have both the 1.2 and now several 1.4's is that I got the 1.2 first early last year (with an SRT and 2 other lenses for $130) and had to have the aperture fixed. Since then I've wanted to compare it to the 1.4 so I could think about whether I should sell the 1.2...

This year I got a 1.4 MC II with a stuck-open aperture.
    At some point, I got the ZY LTII focal reducer...
    With the reducer, the 1.4 sends more light to the sensor (vs the 1.2 + reducer).
    Since I mostly use these indoors, this is an important factor to me.

Later, I got a broken 1.4 hoping I could transplant the aperture to my other one, but the new one turned out to be an MC I and the aperture doesn't work when it's assembled so I'm assuming something is bent.

Then I got another 1.4 with a stuck aperture and another with a filter ring bent so badly the lens couldn't focus.
    I decided that last one would be a good candidate to sacrifice in a repair attempt.
    I ended up adding some scratches but was able to fix it, so then I disassembled, cleaned, and regreased both of the other two (without scratches), so now I have 3 1.4's working well (plus the broken one).

Anyways, long story short, consider finding a 1.2 with a stuck aperture, and fixing it yourself.
    You probably want to practice first on a 1.4 or other cheap lens of the same physical design. Reassembly of the focusing helicoid is a bit tricky, especially if you didn't mark the parts during disassembly, but it is solvable in a few hours. This is optional, but if you don't clean the helicoid it's likely that oil will get into the aperture again.

So far I have not had to completely disassemble an aperture assembly on these lenses, just flush them out with naphtha/Ronsonol. I doubt I have the dexterity and macro vision needed to reassemble aperture blades.

There's another thread here about fixing the 58's, and I followed some videos on YouTube.
    Aperture not closing - Minolta 58mm f1.4
    Note the part about not taking the back completely apart (take two adjacent screws out to see which are the long ones, and the only remove the long ones in a cross pattern).
    The 1.2's are the same mechanical design.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. ionian

ionian Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

May 20, 2016
    Kent, UK
    Simon
    Thanks @barry13@barry13 - actually it was me that started the other thread about fixing the f1.4. I decided to get it done and cleaned professionally in the end as I'm trying to pare down my kit and I've decided to get rid of most of my 50s, making the minolta my main lens at that focal length.

I'll certainly pick one up if the opportunity presents itself affordable, but I'll try to forget this mini gas attack for now!

• Like Like x 1
  20. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    • Like Like x 3