Showcase Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Rokkor MD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Alanroseman, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Interesting that this lens (MD) didn't have its own thread as there are thousands of them around..

Here are a few form one of my old time favorite lenses.

GF1 / MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Aperture 3 / Color EFX / Silver EFX

Canadian_Geese_MD_50mm.

1_Water_Lilly_C_MD_50mm.

3_Water_lilies_MD_50mm.

1_Water_Lilly_B_W_MD_50mm.

Reflection_B_W_MD_50mm.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    G1 / MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Aperture 3

P1020774_-_Version_2.

P1020777.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    It's official!

It is official. I am the only one among nearly 6000 members shooting with the worlds most common Rokkor- the 50mm f1.7

Too strange..

Alan

4. Capt T

Capt T Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2010
    Just received my adaptor this week. Haven't had a chance to take any real shots with it yet.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    This is the most common of all Rokkor lenses...and you and I are the only two people that are shooting with one?

That being the case, we have our own private thread..:smile:

6. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    No, I've got one, but am so enamoured with the 14-150mm at the moment I've only had it on the camera a couple of times for test shots - should be getting out to shoot some of my daughter and her friend next week (Scottish weather permitting). :rolleyes:

7. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Okay, there's three people in our private thread....

let's populate it.. the price of MD 50's will skyrocket on eBay..:biggrin:

8. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I've got a few Minolta 50/1.7 lenses but I don't shoot with them; I prefer the MD 50/1.4 which is just a little bit better. Counter stays at 3, eBay prices are already on the rise. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    A couple more for our private thread....

P1020830_-_Version_2.

P1020838.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I have one as well but have not shot much with it - I mostly use my Pentax-M 50/1.4.

I was thinking about including it in the 50/2.0 lenses I gave away but I decided I like it too much. It will be replacing my Pentax for a while. In fact I will be at a wedding tomorrow and hope to see how it performs.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Richard,

Interestingly I have the Pentax and Rokkor both in 28mm / 2.8. I left the Pentax with Hyubie, one of our fellow members, in Boston last week.

I think I prefer the Rokkor.. I always liked them.

Alan

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    That pentax 50/1.4 ....i was actually looking into that as my first piece of legacy glass for my new gf1 but have read somewhere that (I may about to make myself sound crazy here) one of it's 8 elements has a trace radioactive (coating?) ?????

Is that true ?

Important as I don't want to trigger an international incident that would sour US/Australian relations when I go there in December :)

13. wildcat

wildcat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Used this lens today with some macro tubes I bought recently:

tumblr_loexs2fm791qkqmlqo1_500.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    The older Super Takumars actually had some radioactive glass elements or coatings, I don't remember which But it is very low level and not dangerous. They actually can yellow over time (but are easily restored with UV light). The "newer" K mount lenses do not have this.

15. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    As promised @ F2.8. It looks OK online, but I wouldn't like to try a decent sized print from it having viewed at 100%.

Bring on the Olympus 45mm I say. You can easily soften the image from that, but improving the output from the Minolta is pretty impossible, and if you're going to shoot at F5.6 you're as well using the kit lens.....

I don't think I've quite got the WB right on it either.... feel free to have a go at correcting it if you wish.... :smile:

2aj8h3l.

16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Dekhog,

The focus point seems off a bit.. are you using an EVF with diopter correction that's not set quite right for you...

it just seems a little bit off...

17. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Alan, I think it was a tad off, but hard to say as the lens is quite soft at F2.8. I was using the EVF and no problem with the dioptre adjustment, but think I focussed without using the camera zoom function first, as I always find doing this very distracting and it breaks up your flow of shooting badly (mine at least!).

The zoom picture-in-picture function of the G3 must be great for using legacy glass.... I'm seriously jealous of it... :smile:

Thanks for commenting (and having such good eyesight!)

Derek

• Like Like x 1
  18. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi DekHog,

I've discovered that before using my legacy lenses, either with the EVF on the G1, or the little add on EVF on the GF1, I have to first use an AF lens, let it get a nice contrasty focus point, then adjust the dioptre to make certain it's properly adjusted.

Only then do I feel confident manually focusing. I know i'm spoiled (in a good way) by AF, so I don't have to look carefully when using it, the camera does all the work.

Especially in the case of the add on EVF for the GF1. It's in a spot that changes the adjustment every time in and out of the bag... drives me crazy.

I've shot 20 -30 pictures, all OOF because I had the dioptre setting screwed
    up.

Don't give up on your little 50mm yet...

Alan

19. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Alan....

A good point you make regarding the dioptre adjustment maybe moving slightly, and also about using an AF lens first. I normally just check the sharpness of the display figures in the EVF for dioptre adjustment, but admit to doing this very rarely, and just working on the assumption that it's OK as I've set it previously.

I do also need to practice the zoom/focus/zoom out procedure, as it's far from intuitive for me at the moment, but I'm sure practice would make it much easier.

20. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi DekHog,

I'm about to put up 5 images from yesterday in Westport... If you stick around for the next 10 minutes you'll see them.

I ALWAYS adjust first using an AF lens, and I always use the zoom feature. It's saved me lots of problems.