Showcase Minolta 50mm f/1.7 Rokkor MC

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by DjordjeJ, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    MD Rokkor 50 mm f 1.7

These are taken with the MD Rokkor 50 mm f1.7.

In one photo you will see an MC Rokkor 58 mm f1.7

58mm_MC_Rokkor.

dual_controls.

• Like Like x 3
  2. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I regret to report that my ISP-provided firewall software doesn't enable me to view the native galleries on this site. I simply get a red box where there ought to be a picture. No idea why this should be, but never mind.

I obtained a Minolta MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 lens yesterday morning. It's a distinct improvement on my Olympus OM 50mm f1.8, but still far too soft for use on anything aside from portraits. Because of the excess softness and blown out highlights that invariably occur, I've done a lot of raw post processing to make my images appear usable. However, I do believe that this was a bit of a waste of time, because a large amount of raw sharpening in Lightroom results in extra noise that in turn needs to be corrected.

What I've noticed to my amazement is that untouched jpeg images are at least as good and usually better than anything I can produce in a raw converter. The sharpening that my Panasonic Lumix G1 does on its own somehow works without creating adversely noisy images. By default, my camera settings seem to be effective.

I would not consider this as a normal course of action, but strongly urge anyone who uses this lens and possibly other Minolta Rokkor lenses for micro four thirds purposes to compare raw with straight jpegs in a similar way. You might conceivably save yourself some time and storage space on your computer.

3. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Michael,

You should post a question in the help forum and see if one of our members in the UK can help you bypass the blocked port in the IP firewall.

We do occasionally run into ridiculous firewall blockages from providers in the states, usually Verizon, but they can all be overcome.

i'm betting i you post the question along with the name of your provider, someone here will be able to help you..

Alan

4. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    highlights?

I'm sorry to hear the lens is soft, but it seem the blown highlights would be caused by an exposure problem more than the lens. If you're suddenly getting them with one lens could it be the lens just has more contrast? I'd think more contrast is a good thing.

5. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Thank you Alan and Mellow. I'll consider the blocking issue, but I must say that for my ISP it's not unique but unusual. Regarding the blown highlights, they do tend to happen a lot with the two legacy lenses I possess and because of that, I won't be buying any more of them. The G1 model in particular is a bit prone to this problem in general and normally it can be corrected afterwards. More contrast is OK up to a point, but it does magnify any inherent blemishes. A washed out face is not what I'd normally want from a portrait.

6. DjordjeJ

DjordjeJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I didnt shoot lately till this evening with 50 f1.7. These shots are taken in the evening around 18:30, so it was nearly dark. I think this lens perform quite well:

• Like Like x 4
  7. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Well i own his big brother the 1.4, soft wide open yes minolta tradition , 1 step down it becomes remarkably sharp

8. DjordjeJ

DjordjeJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 19, 2009
    Belgrade, Serbia
    Not just Minolta. I had Olympus 50 f1.4 which was soft until f2.

9. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Rokkor 50mm 1.7

South Carolina.

Huntington State Park.

Marsh_Walk_MC_Rokkor.

• Like Like x 5
  10. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Cemetery Road

G1 / MD Rokkor 50 / 1.7 / Aperture 3 / Color EFX Pro. Glamour Glow

Cemetery_Rd_50mm_Rokkor.

• Like Like x 5
  11. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Alan, you might want to give CEP's 'low key' setting a go if you haven't already done so. It's not particularly aimed at landscapes, but usually succeeds in providing an attractive, understated glowing effect. As earlier reported, I find the lens a bit too soft as it is, but have been achieving some much improved results of late. The colour is always very good indeed, as all these examples illustrate.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Michael,

I'll give that a go when opportunity presents.
    I use the (not well named) glamour glow filter, and back it of considerably in most cases when I'm looking for this kind of saturation and mood. I actually took this for the "share green" thread as I hadn't participated there.

That in mind, I set out to over emphasize the soft glowing greens... Did you happen to see all of the legacy test shots from this thread: http://gallery.me.com/alanroseman#100207

• Like Like x 1
  13. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Thank you Alan. No, I hadn't seen those pictures before, although knew you had several such lenses, which are evidently very well made. It was a very interesting experiment of yours. I've gradually come around to the conclusion that the light source and direction are probably even more important than aperture with legacy lenses, although that's only based on my much lesser experience of two. My most satisfying photo with the 50mm f1.7 was a portrait taken inside a conservatory with soft natural backlighting. One thing I will say is that the G1 does a first rate job of metering with the lens. Aside from the critical focusing, my biggest difficulty has been stray, harsh light. But so long as we know the limitations involved in using the lenses, we'll be OK and have fun with them.

14. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hello Michael,

Here's a reprocess using Low Key Filter. Quite nice, but very soft.
    Thanks for the suggestion.

Alan

Cemetery_Rd_Low_Key.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Alanroseman

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Iris & Strawberry

GF1 / MD Rokkor 50mm f1.7 / Aperture 3 / ColorEFX

MD_Rokkor_50mm_1_7.

MD_Rokkor_50mm_Strawberries.

• Like Like x 7
  17. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks like a nice lens.

18. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    My first acceptable contribution for this lens. Need more practice. On EP-1 for trial before I try the OMD. I think it has it's uses, but not sure I"m ready to give up my 45.

10682878016_47bd898ef5_b.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2