1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Minolta 50 1.7

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by e46dxyan, Dec 1, 2011.

1. e46dxyan

e46dxyan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    Minolta 50 1.7

I have this lens mounted on my ep-3. This lens is my first attempt on using legacy lenses. The displayed image on my ep-3 is super sharp!

My issue is.. I can't get a sharp focused picture, its always slightly blurry. I tried using a tripod and I still cant get picture I prefer. It's not horrible but not perfect.

The lens is in good working order. There is not scratches or dust on the lens.

What am I doing wrong? I love manual lenses, but i'm worried to venture into more legacy lenses.

2. e46dxyan

e46dxyan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    Also I noticed a fair amount of noise. I usually shoot in the evenings, opened wide, low iso, manual mode.

3. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    Could you post some pics to show what you mean?

Two things to think about:

- At f1.7 the depth of field (the area in focus) will be very thin, especially if your subject is quite close. This means that you have to be very precise when focussing, or your image will be blurry. This isn't camera shake, it's just an out of focus image. Use live-view magnification to help avoid this and make sure you don't move the camera between focussing and pressing the shutter.

- At f1.7 most legacy lenses are either slightly soft or very soft. If you stop down to f4 or higher it will likely be much sharper (assuming that there's enough light to do so...).

In regard to noise, naturally the higher the ISO the more noise you will have. However, there's a few things you can do to make it less distracting. Always try to slightly over-expose high-ISO images - an under-exposed image will show heaps more noise... Also, if you shoot RAW you can remove a lot of noise in post-processing.

• Like Like x 1
  4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Are you using the Magnify option while focusing?

In addition to what nickthetasmaniac said, do a google on 'shooting to the right' for more theory on why slight over-exposing is sometimes a good thing. One article on this of note is Optimizing Exposure

• Like Like x 1
  5. e46dxyan

e46dxyan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
  6. e46dxyan

e46dxyan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    Ok I think "slightly soft or very soft" mentioned by nickthetasmaniac is my issue. Pictures look great on the preview, but when loaded to the pc... I see all the flaws. My hobby is street photography, so spending time magnifying seems a bit cumbersome.

So you guys think I need a decent non legacy manual focus lens? Like a Rokinon with a adapter?

7. e46dxyan

e46dxyan Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 29, 2011
    I will also try to shooting at a higher f, and hopefully it will sharpen my pictures. I have no issues with my pan 20m 1.7

I'm a novice btw, but I really really love the control of a manual focus lens. MF on the pan 20m 1.7 sucks.