1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta 24mm f/2.8 MD W. Rokkor

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by MichaelShea, Aug 7, 2011.

1. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    This is a generally highly regarded Minolta lens with Leica connections, but it is relatively scarce and fairly expensive. The sharpness, colour and contrast are excellent. Infinity focus is not recommended unless you own an adapter that does justice to the lens (unlike my own).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Interesting.
    Got given a job-lot of MD lenses on a a trip back to the UK earlier this year.
    28mm Vivitar close focus f2.8
    50mm Minolta f1.7
    35-70mm f3.5

Have found that all the lenses are very sharp but lack contrast and colour definition. Not bad considering their vintage.

I think it just goes to show how good modern lenses are.

Your 24mm, I have to say looks much better than the 28mm Viv, which requires a lot of work in PP to get results.

• Like Like x 2
  3. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Thanks for replying. I have a couple of other Minolta lenses, including the 50mm f1.7 you mention. All of them need a good deal of sharpening in my opinion. A minor flaw with the 24mm f2.8 is the chromatic aberration that invariably becomes noticeable at full resolution, but it's quite easy to remove in post processing.

4. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I am continuing to get a lot of enjoyment from this high quality lens. Here are a few more thumbnail previews of recent images uploaded elsewhere. Click on them to view at larger size if you are interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Michael,

Oh that's fun. I never owned that 24mm, it wasn't altogether very popular, but that may have due to the price when compared to the 28mm.

Those are really nice, nicely rendered on the µ43 sensor, and a very handy FL 48mm.

Cool.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  6. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    Yes indeed Alan and thank you. It is quite scarce, especially when compared to the varieties of Minolta 28mm lenses. I do like the focal length very much and it doesn't particularly bother me having to stop the lens down most of the time to obtain the best results. For the kind of pictures I take, really wide apertures aren't usually important. My only regret is not being able to use it on a film camera as the wide-angled lens it was built to be.

7. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    If you want to use it as a film camera why not pick up an SRT101 / 102?

They're all over the place and very inexpensive.

Alan

8. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I'm tempted Alan, but have become so accustomed to processing my own images and am reluctant to lose control of something that I particularly enjoy. Perhaps for the sheer novelty value I might yet give it a go.

9. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    I just found this thread and it doesn't seem very active. I have a Minolta Rokkor X MC 24mm f2.8 that has been sitting in my bag for probably 35-40 years. I'm using it more now with my G2 than I did with my Minoltas and I like the results. Here are two shots I took yesterday in the woods(also posted elsewhere).

10. MichaelShea

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    I've not made much much use of the lens recently and am gradually moving away from MFT and towards Pentax. But I'm glad someone else has shown some interest in the thread and is enjoying the lens.

[​IMG]

11. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    This lens has been sitting in my dry cabinet for far too long.

11828344385_0514ed906b_c.
    blue ball by Nor Salman, on Flickr

Besides some straightening, nothing else was done.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Lovely Slim! I love the Rokkor colors :)

• Like Like x 1
  16. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Yes. I love it too. I had it for over five years and I think I used it only once, just to test it. Will be using the lens more soon. Just got me a nokton. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Don't judge all Minolta Rokkor lenses by the Lot you got. For one thing you only have two of them really, just because the other two are in the same mount does not put them on the same Par with Rokkor quality. Now of the two Minolta lenses you have, one is a Zoom lens and almost all zooms of that era were not the best quality. And the 50mm 1.7 lens was their "kit lens" essentially being given with the bodies they sold. The 50mm 1.4 & 1.2 lenses were a better quality.
    You really need to find and use some Rokkor Primes then, they are all great quality lenses, the faster ones are more "Pro quality" too

Well, you can still process it yourself and have control if you have the time .. maybe a roll of color or C41 B&W if you got a scanner, or you just use a good lab to process and scan a roll. One or two rolls should not be too much. Or better yet there is now the new Full Frame Mirror =less from sony which will let us use all out Rokkor glass to their full potential.
    But let us not forget a cheaper and yet almost as god and alternative we have now. Using a speed booster gets us much closer to the intended FOV of this lens, while increasing the speed and DOF as well as the sharpness on an µ4/3 sensor then it would have with just the simple tube adapters.

Wow .. a "Dry Cabinet" you say? Tell me more (pics would be cool too). I never heard of such a thing and sounds like i might need one for my vast amount of Legacy glass.

Hmm, I have so many Minolta lenses (and many more other branded) and have been shooting with Minolta Rokkor lenses forever, starting in the film days. I have never noticed the colors being particularly different, one way or another, between Minolta legacy lenses and other ones that I have. I never had done a comparison tests or any testings on my lenses. I should lend a box of my lenses to someone who wants to do that some day. . lol
    But then again I'm almost always adjusting colors in PP since I never have agreed with what I remember the colors being to what I see displayed on the screen.

18. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    A dry cabinet is like an air tight container with shelves (supposedly, some brands are not so air tight) with a dehumidifier built in. Helps to keep fungus at bay. The humidity where I live is around 80-98%.

19. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

Sounds very usefull.
    I wonder if i can build one myself.
    Maybe I could just use a cabinet and put in there dry packs, the kind they sell to absorb humidity & moisture in basements and on house boats

20. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Yeah. That will do too. But the disadvantage of that is that you have to constantly check those packs to see if they are still absorbing water. Where are u at anyways?