1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Minolta 135mm f/2.8 MD Celtic

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by unkabin, May 23, 2011.

1. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    These are OOC jpgs, unless otherwise stated. This is one of Minolta's Celtic series of lenses. Apparently, these lenses were sold as budget alternatives to some of the Rokkors, though I don't know what corners were cut (number of aperture blades may be one). Build quality sure is high. All metal, built-in metal retractable sliding hood. Smooth, well dampened focusing. A pleasure to use. (Note: some of these shots are also posted in the "Flowers" thread. There are a few more there that aren't here, if you want to see more)

Wide open, it may not be as contrasty as it could be, but that can be to lovely effect as in this first shot. Looking at more shots, however, I think the apparent lack of contrast in the first shot has more to do with exposure and subject. The second shot is also wide open, but it shows good contrast, I think.

Here's a comparison between this lens wide open (2.8) and the Lumix 45-200mm wide open (5.1 at 140). I don't see the Minolta struggling for contrast. These are not good sharpness comparisons since I the ISO was too slow for the Lumix zoom, and there appears to be a bit of camera shake. My fault. (1st shot is Minolta, 2nd shot Lumix)

Stopped down a stop, the aperture shape shows in the bokeh, but depth of field is still narrow.

Here, I've upped the contrast, just to show it. Still jpg, just a bump to the slider. 1st is OOC, 2nd has increased contrast (looks like a saturation bump, too. I don't remember).

• Like Like x 2
  2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    do you have the add-on viewfinder or do you just use the LCD screen? If the latter, HUGE respect - I have the Minolta 135mm f3.5 & will have to make more of an effort!

3. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    No huge respect merited. I did just buy the viewfinder, and it makes an enormous difference. I'd tried using the lens with LCD, and, yes, it's a shaky proposition (pun intended). I'll also say for the viewfinder that, although it is not a pleasure to look through, I had no problem focusing precisely with it, which was my main concern.