Showcase Minolta 100-300mm f/5.6 MD Constant Aperature

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by bakadeshi, Feb 20, 2013.

1. bakadeshi

bakadeshi New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013
    Heres some sample pics I took with the Minolta MD 100-300mm zoom f5.6 constant. Seems to be a rare lense, happened to get my hands on one on Ebay that needed cleaning (fungus and haze inside) for dirt cheap and was able to clean it successfully. Impressed with the sharpness and color reproduction of this lense. Minor postprocessing was done to these images. The Hawk shots had more color adjustments done in photoshop since they came out a bit hazy due to my amature photo taking skills. These were all shot at 300mm with aperature between 6.7 - 9.6 range. This lense is surprisingly sharp wide open (though has some glow and CA on edges), but is sharpest between 8 and 9.6.

I also own a Tokina 70-210 f4 and a Vivitar (kiron made) 75-200mm F3.8 and this lense is the sharpest among them.

Overall impressed with this lense. I find the 300mm focal length usefull for wildlife photography. gives me that extra reach to get close on stuff without them running away.

Camera body: Olympus PEN EPL-1

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  2. chasm

chasm Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Impressive, especially on that camera body! I particularly like the hawks. Did you use a viewfinder? Did you use a tripod/monopod or did the IBIS do what it's supposed to do?
  3. bakadeshi

bakadeshi New to Mu-43

Feb 20, 2013
    All handheld, I don't remember the shutter speed, but it was sunny out so I imagine I was able to set it pretty fast. ISO was at 200. I don't think I would've had any hope of tracking those hawks on a tripod ;p I took maybe 30 shots of that hawk and only had maybe 5 usable ones. Hard to focus on such a fast moving bird manually. The one with the bird in the berry bush I was in my car and balanced the barrel on the edge of the door to help stabilize it. Sharpest image I was able to get with the lens so far. The bird was acting like it was actually posing for me. I don't yet own a viewfinder, I've been collecting my lens range first, but I hope to get one soon!
  4. Joltinjess

Joltinjess Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    Port Moody, BC
    I don't get it. Isn't this lens a constant 5.6?
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    The fastest this lens can be is 5.6, constant throughout the zoom range. He was saying for these shots, he stopped the lens down to 6.7-9.6.