1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Minnesota Twins VS. Texas Rangers baseball game

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by noohoggin1, May 2, 2013.

1. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Last Sunday was my first time to the (newer) Target field to catch a baseball game, which I hadn't been to in years. The day was nice enough, and I had inquired here about bringing my Panny 100-300mm lens into a stadium. Again, thanks for the answers, and I had no problem bringing it in my pocket. :)

3 things were against me:
    1- I don't proclaim to be sports shooter, it isn't my specialty
    2- This is my first real outing with the 100-300mm lens (other than some minor tests), so I wasn't yet familiar on how to maximize its qualities yet
    3- We were literally in the nosebleed seats, second to the very last row at the top of the stadium behind home plate. Because of this, I also had to contend with some walking heads in front of me. Yet, I was incredibly impressed by the reach I was able to get!

Here are a few of my favorites (shot with OMD, ISO between 400-800, C-AF, 4 frames/second burst, IS off, aperture f/6.3-8.0 on most):

Attached Files:

2. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Good shots Tom. Too bad about all the wires and screens though. Life happens (and not a lot of priority is given to us guys that want to take award winning pics).

3. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Glad to see the lens being put to good use! Enjoyed Gardy getting tossed, hahaha.

4. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Thank you...yeah, what can you do, right? It's not like I could move around to get a better shot :(

5. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom

lol me too! And thank you again for the glass! ;) Hope all is well!

6. tpitch14

tpitch14 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 31, 2010
    PA
    Nice set- great reach for that lens. I'm going to have to look into one, as I like to shoot at baseball games. Nice to know you can gain admission with it...

7. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    More days with weather like Sunday around here and we'll all be fine :)

While Gardy was getting tossed on the radio, I had this fine assortment basting:

ND6_0220.JPG

8. F/Stop

F/Stop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    West Virginia
    Brian Y.
    i would like to see how close you can get with that lens if sitting field level.
    i was thinking of picking up the 75-300 or 100-300 in the future considering how much i spend at stadiums during the summer!

anywho, good shots!

9. condo39

condo39 Mu-43 Regular

I have season tickets and am very impressed with the photos. May just have to invest in this lens. Will be taking my new 75mm out to the games next week. Thanks for posting.

10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yummy..

11. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Why ISO off.
    Is that something suggested for the 100-300?

12. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I assume you mean "IS off" and I guess the fotog preferred to use the Mega OIS instead of the IBIS. I've never seen that suggested for the 100-300.

13. woody112704

woody112704 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2012
    Iowa
    Jared
    Great shots! I'll be going to a Cubbies Rockies game in Chicago next Monday. Dunno if I'll be able to get good pictures or not since its a night game. Hopefully I can and the longest reach I have is the 40-150mm.

14. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    Thanks again for the kind comments guys! :thumbup:

15. noohoggin1

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I'm assuming that's what he means, too. At the fast shutter speeds I was using, there was no point in using the Image Stabilization.