Minimize focus area size?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SkiHound, Jun 18, 2012.

1. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Finally got my E-M5 and have been working to get familiar with the controls. I generally use center spot focus and would like to set a control to minimize the focus area. I set the movie mode button to the icon that has a relatively big fish and 3 relatively small fish. My sense is that this is switching between a relatively large area and a smaller focus area. Am I correct and if not, how can I set a function key to give me the smallest possible center area focus point? Thanks.

2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    The fish are for underwater modes.

Change the button's function to either Magnify or Multi-Function (which lets you choose between Magnify and 3 other modes).

Hit the button once to view how large your focus point is (it will be green), and once again to magnify the screen...turning the dial to change the magnification will also change the size of the focus point (the larger the magnification factor (i.e. - 14), the smaller the focus point).

Holding the button down once more will make everything go back to normal.

You can also use the touchscreen to change the magnification level if you have it set to focus-only (not focus & exposure).

3. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    Thanks, didn't think the fish were right. The manual is just not real clear about some things.

4. 6x6

6x6 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 12, 2011
    In general, that about sums it up with the manuals from Olympus:biggrin:
    Enjoy yur OM-D!

5. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    If you think Olympus is bad you should try figuring out a Panasonic camera manual.

6. st3v4nt

st3v4nt Mu-43 Veteran

May 26, 2011
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    The trouble with m4/3 camera manual (both Oly and Pany) it looks like made incomplete deliberately in order to give a writer reason to make in depth guide book for m4/3. Yet only a handful of book show up....let's see I have an EPL-1 for dummies, EP-2 and Pany G-2 guide book. So far still waiting someone write book about OM-D...