1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Mini tripod question.

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Livnius, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Red a mini type tripod and have seen 2 versions of the Pedco Ultapod available for a decent price....one is the 4inch version and the other is the 6inch.

Has anybody tried these before ? They seem to be decent for mini pods but am curious whether the ultrapod-I 4 inch is too small for my usual setup (gf1+20 or gf1+14-45kit zoom).

Unfortunately none of the retailers near me have any so I can't pick one up and inspect it in person.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What are you planning to do with such a short tripod? Have you considered a bean bag?

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I just received the Ultrapod II, 6 inch version, this week. I went with the II because I thought I read somewhere this was recommended for m4/3, but now I can't find anything other than the mfg saying "mid-sized" cameras for the 6-inch.

I will take it out this weekend, but playing around at home, it seems like a cool little tripod. Very light and feels sturdy. Cool stuff. I chose over a bean bag, because this is still super light, and you have the option to velcro it to rails, tree limbs, or w/e. Hoping this will fill the role of both a beanbag and gorillapod.

4. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Does anyone have the Joby Gorillapod? I was thinking about picking a couple up.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    my oldest piece of camera gear (and best value for the money) was a rock solid $10 tabletop tripod. It doesn't twist up like a pretzel or do anything fancy. I can't recommend a small tripod highly enough. I'd be open for a "trick" small tripod and will follow this thread.

6. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    I have the ultrapod II and it's as small as I'd go for my GF1. I've had it fine w/ my 20 and 14-45 on it. The velcro t hing is kinda lame, but it's worked when I had to tie my camera to a chair =)

TC, a small tabletop tripod is always useful to have IMO. Those impromptu times where you need to set up and didn't bring a tripod... can use a chair in combinition to get the right height =) Also, for random macro work I thought I'd do. I may try to keep doing though if no one picks up the PL45, heh.

• Like Like x 2
  7. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Bummer, thought this may come in handy, even considered getting the velcro extension piece.

8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    i mean, it works i guess. I've used it. but I still don't fully trust it. or rather, it still is uneasy when I used it the couple times (I have the same reaction to the gorilla pods as well... so, keep that in mind). I find it more annoying than not as well when I'm not using it. It gets in the way.

There's nothing that beats a real clamping system. But that is kidna difficult to do.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Thanks for the response. I primarily want an ultra compact tripod for those occasions where the shooting is fairly casual or I am all geared up doing something else....(fly fishing/dirt bike riding) and carrying my full sized Vanguard tripod isn't practical.

By the sounds of things, the ultrapod II will be fine for use with gf1+ 20/14-45

I think I'll make the purchase and give it a shot. Thanks again for the generous advice.

10. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    i use the lightest one, it works with all my lens except the 14-150
    i have used the velcro with churchs chair , or while hiking with my hiking staff
    the hiking staff being blocked with either 3 cords + linelocs + stakes or between rocks

but when i am not conting grams because i carry 2 weeks of food i take the pedco 2 wich is much stable / sturdier

• Like Like x 1
  11. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    I have GorillaPod SLR which can be carried everywhere easily. It is also very useful when placed on ragged surfaces or railing. On other hand it is not much stable and tend to vibrate when wind is blowing. Also you have to find elevated place before placing it, otherwise you will get pictures from ant perspective :smile: I am using mine mostly for self portraits while travelling and as a stand for off-camera flash ;)

12. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe

13. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I have a Joby (the small blue one) and it holds the GF1 and a pancake (I have the 20mm, but the 14 would also work of course). It can't hold the GF1 with the 14-140mm, but that is a rather heavy lens for our system. I don't have a 14-45mm to test.

14. winx14

winx14 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 1, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY
    Just ordered this: Manfrotto POCKET SUPPORT SMALL BLACK - Pocket Series

Couldn't find much reviews on the internet, but I saw an picture of an E-P1 with the old 14-42mm kit lens mounted on the modopocket, which is even smaller. I figure the next step up could hold my G3 + 20mm stably. I also got suckered in because it folds down and you can just leave it attached to the camera. I'll post a review once it comes.

15. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    Pavel
    Personally I am not fan of small tripods, usually they can hold camera, but the problem is where to place them and how to line-up verticals and horizontals. The rule is simple always pack up heaviest tripod with adjustable head you can carry :2thumbs:

16. s0nus

s0nus Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 13, 2010
    Chicago
    I have one too. I replaced the stock velcro piece with a longer strip of generic velcro.

I thought I would use it to turn a trekking pole into an impromptu monopod, but never really used it that way.

17. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    But aren't we all here because we don't want to lug big and heavy stuff around? :biggrin:

I can see what you are saying about it being nice to have a big, heavy and stable tripod when using from the home or car, but kind of nice to have a portable option in a messenger bag that only weighs 2-4 ounces.

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    This was kind of my point up thread.

Full size tripods don't have to be heavy or take up a lot of space. I travel the world with a Benro CF TravelAngel. It fits in my Tenba mini-messenger when folded, and goes up to full height. With the column flipped, I can put the camera basically on the ground.

19. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Did you carry it along with you for the day hikes, sonos?

Thanks again for the tripod spreadsheet - my wife always calls me a geek when I do something similar. :biggrin: It was very helpful! I ordered a full height Vebon UT 43 for an all-rounder (breaks down to 12"), but that mid-sized Silk of yours looks like a great hiking tripod.

20. Fred49

Fred49 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2010
    FRance
    light tripod

I own a benro travel angel, but i carry it only when i plan to do photos and for day hikes at most.
    btw there are 3 new gorillapod, the 800 is said to be for hybrids, but they dont state his weight.

i also have a regular gorillapod, i used it when i had an E420, but it was the model without a ballhead.

i prefer the pedco(s) for being lighter and with a ballhead