1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mini tripod for travelling you can put in you bag

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by MartinP, Jun 7, 2018.

1. MartinP

MartinP Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Hello guys,

I am looking for small tripod you can put in your bag when travelling for my Oly om-d e-m10.
    Lens I will be using: 14mm - 42mm / 25mm

I was thinking about GorillaPod Hybrid - but I saw some images when the plate has broken or it loose joints.
    It would be nice if the mini tripod has quick release place.

Most of time I will be doing pictures of me and my family - you know I want to be also on pictures :) 

2. MartinP

MartinP Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    • Wow Wow x 1
  3. Schwert

Schwert Mu-43 Regular

Mar 2, 2016
    Pacific NW
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mike Wingate

Mike Wingate Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I use a Manfrotto Pixi Evo2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MartinP

MartinP Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Dont you miss a quick release plate?

6. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    I have an RC2 plate mounted on the screw-thread to overcome this. It adds very little weight or takes up such a small space.

7. Mike Wingate

Feb 21, 2017
    Altrincham
    Mike Wingate
    7A4363D3-0913-48BD-B28B-E55DCFFEA4A3. Some release plates come with a threaded insert, otherwise drill and tap 1/4” BSW.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I also have the Manfrotto pixi as above, good if are not sure if you need a tripod. If I know I will I take my Manfrotto BeFree.
    My gorilla pod 5K Kit just stays at home now, too big for table top and too small when I need height.

I must admit I would like a tripod that fits inside my pack, has a removable leg for a monopod and goes really low. So I have been looking at the Sirui A-1005 Aluminium. But if I got one of those I would sway the ball head for a Manfrotto one. It comes with an arcaswiss head which is fine if you use those.

If you are after a table top version Sirui make a table top one P-326 for a little more than the pixi, but not as portable or pocketable.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I ordered a Leofoto LS-223C. I ended up going with this one because it has 3-section extendable legs, which gives a bit better flexibility on the height when needed (or when shooting on uneven terrain and you need to extend one leg more than the others to make the camera level), yet is still compact.

This website has a number of images showing the tripod being used in a number of different scenarios, and should give you an idea of its size and flexibility.

It cost $80 on ebay, and is schedule to arrive today. I'll chime back in once I've had a chance to take a hands-on look.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. bremner

bremner Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Feb 27, 2016
    I have one of these

DayTrip Tripod Kit | MeFoto

I'm reasonably happy with it, although I wish the spare mini-arca-swiss non standard QR plates were more reasonable to replace/buy spares.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  11. MartinP

MartinP Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    It appers to be more question whether to buy something supersmall like Manfrotto Pixi Evo2, Pedco UltraPod or take some bit larger and more versatile like cullmann-foto //  DETAIL - In the end it is still no full sized tripod.
    So probably I will take something super small ...

12. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    If you take the Manfrotto Pixi, I would get the version with extendable legs. This model also has a better method of attaching your camera, but still no quick release plate.
    I have the Pedco UltraPod, but I could not recommend that one. The screw attachment came loose in the plastic ball in mine. I ended up tapping a hole in the ball and inserting my own custom screw attachment. Now that I have the Manfrotto Pixi I doubt I would ever use it again. It also flexes more than the Pixi

13. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 10, 2010
    Kiillarney, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    another vote for:
    and no I don't miss the "quick release" because its insanely easy to just spin it on the bottom ... as its for occasional use not my "studio workhorse" such a plate is just more mass and clutter on my travel camera

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. MartinP

MartinP Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    I can try to live some time without "quick release" and if needed I can buy one.

15. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Legend

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    @MartinP@MartinP , I received my Leofoto LS-223C yesterday, and can confirm that it is an extremely well-built piece of kit. Possibly too well built, since it has a bit of heft to it. The rubber feet are very large, and it comes with spiked feet that you can swap to. The 3-section legs are very nice, as it can extend to a reasonable height relative to most table-stop tripods. I'm using a small Sirui ballhead on mine, and it's a great combo.

For $80, I'm thoroughly impressed, and will likely be taking mine with me to Hawaii later this year as a backup/secondary tripod.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
  17. MartinP

MartinP Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
  18. wonglp

wonglp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2011
    Singapore
    I have this among other Leofoto Ranger series tripods LS254C is personal favorite. Great value for money.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 24, 2018
    Let us know how it works out for you.
    Travel tripods are always a compromise.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.