Mini Review of the most versitile m4/3 Video Camera

Discussion in 'Filmmaking' started by Lobbamobba, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    (sorry about my dodgy auto correction in the title "versatile")

I got this on loan to review from JVC UK but liked it so much that I have bought it.
    Therefor I will take my time on it. But for now I did a list of the things I like most about it.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    A few quick questions (common questions and no doubt answered in your full review, I digress) for someone who has the camera in their hands...

Does it get physically hot recording 4k? (I assume it's peltier cooled like most video cams, does it have a fan or other active cooling?)
    Can it combine frames for a slower shutter speed in low light if needed?
    How does it perform noise wise at higher gain levels in 4k?

3. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    The noise is fine up to 1600 but in J-Log I prefer to satay at the native 800. If its very dark and I want to make it look brighter I can always switch to cine gamma and then go all the way to 3200.
    3200 in J-Log is very noisy.

It has a fan for cooling so no problem there (very quiet btw).
    I will have to get back to you on the frame blend, I have only shot "regular" 25/50p with 180 degree so far.

• Like Like x 1
  4. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Most Log profiles have more noise before grading (it's par for the course), it's just interesting to see how much performance can be eeked out of the sensor before the image breaks down (especially with the larger sensor, sometimes pushing limits is needed to get enough in focus).
    It's also good to know they've fit active cooling into it, it's not hugely marketable however it's often important in Australian heat.

I'm sure there will be more questions over time, thanks for taking the time to answer them :)

5. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Yes, noise is to be excepted its just that in some situations it gets FPN noise after grading which one really need to be aware of. When that happens its time to sacrifice some of the DR.
    I have an example of that in the video. There was much more information on the dark side of the cow. All of it was totally visible. But the noise got to ugly when graded.
    That's why some have claimed more than 12 stops DR. It has it, but not +12 of "usable" stops. Luckily 12 isn't bad at all.

Any questions Im happy to answer if I can :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

A couple of questions:

- will lenses with OIS (i.e., Panasonic's 12-35 F2.8) be stabilized?
    - what cameras does this compete with?

I look forward to your full review.

7. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Hey, at roughly 07:00 in this video he does what I think you mean?

8. Lobbamobba

Lobbamobba Mu-43 Veteran

May 15, 2013
    Sweden
    Hey,
    - Yes it should work just fine, AF as well.
    - I would say the C100. Its not as good in lowlight and can have some FPN issues but it has 4K, better mount, slowmo, prime zoom and costs less.
    What it primarily is to me is an alternative to having both something like a XF100 and a DSLR in the same bag.

The review will be on hold for a week due to other commitments. But I just received shipping notifications on my very own LS300 :)

9. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    I believe he does, 720 degree shutter (exposure time twice the duration of each frame). It's the little things hidden away like this which you only miss when you don't have them.