mini beach crabs - at macro

Discussion in 'Nature' started by ghetto, Dec 5, 2012.

1. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

I got a new toy today the 70-300mm and the cheap jy-43f four thirds to micro adapter so I had to go out and play.

Both pictures are only scaled, not cropped.

Crab rising from the water .... picture is a mess but for some reason I like it, maybe because his eye ball is in focus.

Not quite 1:1 macro, just slightly smaller than that. And they say m4/3 has no bokeh.

Incidentally the 70-300mm on the e-p1 is comical, it makes my setup look like an NEX where the lens is completely oversized compared to the camera body.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Cool shots, especially the last one.
  3. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

He looks ready to attack that lens of yours:smile: Certainly giving you the evil eye.

The bokeh in the first picture isn't very pleasing but the 2nd shot is much better.

What beach was this?
  4. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

ha I don't think it was bokeh in the first picture, I think he was splashing water everywhere that's why the rest of the picture is a mess. (everywhere is a relative term, he was only about 1.5cm wide so the smallest movement is a big splash).

This is Dee Why beach, in sydney's northern beaches.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. lefty

lefty Mu-43 Regular

how do you take macro pics with this lens?
  6. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

I like this one also. It takes some study to understand what one is looking at. I'd say print it large, and enter it in an art show.
  7. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

The lens has macro functionality, at 300mm it's 1:1 macro in manual focus mode. With auto focus I think it's just a little less than 1:1.
  8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Nice, really like the second shot! :thumbup:
  9. ghetto

ghetto Mu-43 Regular

it's an excuse to take photos so here's some more :)

And when he starts to pull out his claw, it's time to go :eek:
    • Like Like x 2