Ming Thein on "The Demise of the DSLR"

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by profgregorio, Aug 24, 2013.

1. profgregorio

profgregorio Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    Manila, Philippines
  2. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Good read and the comments are excellent also

3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I really dislike these types of articles. Just because Ming Thein can shoot most his clinical work with an OM-D, doesn't mean another photographer can. Just another doom & gloom piece to attract web hits. Just as annoying as the other dude predicting the end of M43.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    That also pretty means we'll all be shooting with cell phone cameras as soon as they are 'good enough'.

5. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Shhhhh.:shhh: We never mention this. Ever.

6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    JMHO. I agree that MILC will replace DSLR in the long run for mainly size and price reasons. I'm far less sure about sensor size however. I bet the "pros" will use FF, which will become like Medium Format in the film days. Yes, the lenses are bigger but a smaller body will save you something and FF pancakes are very realistic. I think the real fight will be for the new "35 mm", which will be between APS-C and mu43. Of course, better technology could also make the 1 inch sensor a possibility.

7. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    Look at the history of camera gear. Systems evolve, come into favour, fade into disfavour.

But it's hard to predict, when you're in midstream (i.e., looking at the present around us rather than looking back).

One thing's for sure, outside of Japan, the majority of people are moving toward cell phones, and DSLRs.

That doesn't mean there's no room for everything in between (including mirrorless); it just means the global market isn't huge, and that research & development budgets can't continue at current levels indefinitely unless there is a noticeable change in market trends.

Meanwhile, we can all enjoy the amazing new m4/3 models that continue to tantalize us!

For me personally, a cell phone camera will never be enough. Even if/when m4/3 collapsed and faded, I wouldn't be tempted to abandon my current Pen unless something better came along at similar or smaller size.

8. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    My anecdotal experience tells me too many people own DSLR for it to be demised.

I rarely ever see another u43 user anywhere. I do see some NEX users.

Most every tourist is carrying a DSLR with a kit lens.

Once in a while I would see a DSLR with an upgrade lens.

Wedding/Portrait photographers use DSLR.

u43 users are the outliers not the other way around.

9. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I actually see more people taking pictures with a full blown iPad than u43.

It just looks stupid.... but...

:biggrin:

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Using a DSLR gives a slightly different experience to using a MILF camera, even with EVF : so DSLRs will always have their place as a preferred unit for some.

11. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade

Hmmmm.....

:evilsmile:

12. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Mirrorless. Interchangeable. Lens. Format.

13. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Hats off to MT for creating a good click-bait article perfectly tailored to his audience, but two interesting things stood out:

What will happen to the thousands of entry-level DSLRs floating around five or ten years from now? I think they will become paperweights, like VCRs and portable CD players, because of their limited utility compared to current-gen mirrorless and compacts and costly repairs.

We are in a significant era for photography. As uscrx said, in the wild there are more people taking photos with iPads (which are personal computers in effect) than m43, and more people using cellphones than DSLRs. Everyone has a great camera in their pocket or bag. When phone cameras completely displace compacts (not yet but soon), camera manufacturers will need to sell to us based on user experience, feel and ergonomics, not image quality. I think Olympus are ahead of the game here, Ricoh too and I definitely think the Leica X Vario is a camera ahead of its time (and price range).

14. pbasswil

pbasswil Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2013
    There are several acronyms for the mirrorless category of camera. "Milf" is not a good bet -- it's taken!

15. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    It's MILC

Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Camera..

Still it doesn't sound right.

I think we should go with DSLM

Digital Single Lens Mirrorless

16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    Saying that DSLRs "are in their twilight" is like saying all humans will eventually die one day. You'd be right - but it's not exactly an epiphany or a revelation from the gods or anything. In a field as technologically-driven as photography is, the progression of camera gear from prominence into obscurity is as natural as breathing.

17. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    And DSLM is trademarked by Panasonic since 2012.

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Like me, I'm sure some of you remember the arguments around 2000 about whether digital would replace film. Very few would have believed how far ahead digital would have been ten years later. Given the relatively short lifespan of modern cameras, change could be sudden and quick once it starts. The biggest barrier, imho, is that the two biggest makers of cameras are heavily invested in DSLRs. Canon and Nikon could hold this at bay for quite a while.

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Then there's what Sony is doing :smile:

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Yeah, Sony. That new $300 bridge camera body is a real shot across the bow. Sony has the clout to get into big box stores, and it could be attractive to the low end DSLR buyer.