1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Min. Focusing on PL 45 Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by zensu, Mar 8, 2013.

1. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    The specs I've read say a minimum focusing distance of 6" (1:1), I am curious of those who have this lens, is that 6" from the sensor plane or 6" from the front element of the lens?:confused:

2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Its the Distance between from front objective and subject as far as I can see from my own usage. It's a bit on the close side for skittish critters in my experience. The lens is still fabulous though as a macro and as a short tele.
    M

3. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012

Its from the front element

4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, as everyone says... it's front element. :) You don't need to know the specific specs for that lens to be able to figure it out, because any 45mm lens which achieves 1:1 will do so at the the same distance (same distance to sensor that is, but then you can tell from there that it's longer than 6" to the sensor).

5. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Thanks

Thanks to all for this clarification. I've been debating the PL 45 and the Oly 60 as a macro lens. I'd like to use the MAL-1 as an add on light for focusing or for just highlighting and I'm afraid the Oly 60 would be too long for this purpose but the PL 45 might give me a few inches (being shorter) to allow the MAL-1 lights. Of course using the Oly 60 might give me more working room from the subject for Remote Flashes designed for working with the RC feature on my E-PL5. I would appreciate any advice or experience you may have to offer.
    Bobby