Milky Way

PeHa

Mu-43 Top Veteran

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Dad Pun Joke Master Over Nine Thousand Meme Lord
Real Name
Ovidiu
W0LF4859-Edit.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It's been a long time since I made astrophotography pictures. I got a rare opportunity to get to a dark spot, even though it's was quite late for the Galactic Core in October I still got a good one. It was the first time I used a 14mm and f 2.8 for shooting stars.

Aviator

Mu-43 Regular
From a plane maybe? (As your sig is Aviator.)
Did you open the door or the window to take this? :whistling:

Haha like those selfies other pilots have outside of the airplane while flying holding a selfie stick. :biggrin:

Now being more serious, it is true sometimes I take my photos from the flight deck. Milky Way from the airplane is possible providing there is not even the slightest turbulence, so you can hold the camera against the windshield or set a suction cup.

But this time, I was on vacation and this was taken in the Maldives Islands.

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Not thrilled with how this came out, but just my luck, the only clouds in the sky were exactly where the Milky Way was...you can only see a little bit of the core.
3C1030DD-F474-4D7D-AD8C-5D3916C36548.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Earlier on in the evening there were a lot of shooting stars in my shots.
Are you sure those are meteors?

If you zoom in, do they start thin and dim, and get brighter and wider?

If not, they are probably satellites, especially "earlier in the evening."

Meteors tend to be at their best around midnight. Near dawn or dusk, low-Earth-orbit (LEO) satellites are at their best, as they are illuminated by the setting sun. When meteors are out, LEO satellites go away, as they are entirely in Earth's shadow then.

At 100%, LEOs will rather suddenly appear, remain the same thickness and brightness, then suddenly disappear.

Mountain_Man_79

Do all the interns get Glocks?
Real Name
Chris
Are you sure those are meteors?

If you zoom in, do they start thin and dim, and get brighter and wider?

If not, they are probably satellites, especially "earlier in the evening."

Meteors tend to be at their best around midnight. Near dawn or dusk, low-Earth-orbit (LEO) satellites are at their best, as they are illuminated by the setting sun. When meteors are out, LEO satellites go away, as they are entirely in Earth's shadow then.

At 100%, LEOs will rather suddenly appear, remain the same thickness and brightness, then suddenly disappear.
Actually I believe most of them are meteors. There are 8 or 9 distinct ones just in that shot. I found a satellite tracker online not long after this shot to double check...I believe I determined that maybe 1 of them was a satellite. But there where absolutely not 8 hanging out in the same section of sky that night at that time. Also, many were visible with the naked eye, and simply were just shooting stars. They’re pretty recognizable as they flare up and whip across the sky.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom