Milky Way

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Incredible images. Really shows what‘s possible with micro four thirds if you have the right lens and skills.

Machi

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Well that's just the same problem that anything in the Southern hemisphere has with finding the Southern celestial pole without an equivalent of Polaris. Provided you have the skills to do the alignment yourself is there some hardware limitation which means it doesn't work?

Edit: I think I know why... if you align to the Southern celestial pole the tracker has to rotate in the opposite direction... since that tracker is clockwork it can't reverse direction... nor can you flip it around it seems. Such a shame.
I think that it should be possible to use it even on south hemisphere with tripod with reversible column.

MRM

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
Milky Way Over Mount Hood. Taken with Olympus EM5II and Loawa 7.5 2.0 staked 16 images in StarryLandscapeStacker

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Trying out the SkyTracker - the compass on this is really bad, making alignment in the Southern Hemisphere harder than it already is.

8mm @ f/2.8, 4x60s, ISO800
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Edit: It turns out the compass is not as terrible as I originally though - the LCD screen on the camera body is magnetic and throws it off...

Last edited:

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Snippet

Southern Hemisphere stargazers have it good. From anywhere on Earth, on a very dark night, the band of the Milky Way can be seen to stretch across the sky in a sideways view through the disk of our spiral galaxy. From the southern hemisphere we can also see the part of the band where it widens into a bright bulge of stars, veiled by lanes of dust, surrounding the supermassive black hole at the very core of the galaxy.

Also from the south, due to the orientation of the Earth and the Solar System, we can see the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds, dwarf satellite galaxies caught in the Milky Way’s gravity.

Jared Jimenez

Mu-43 Rookie
Here's one I got last month. EM-5 mk2, MZuiko 40-150mm @ 40mm f4.0, ISO 800-6400, 6X120sec, riding a Skywatcher Star Adventurer Mini, Stacked in Sequator with further editing in PS and LR. Green Zone Bortle 3-4, near Corsicana, TX

Attachments

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

Here's one I got last month.
its pretty good ...

however to address this point:
Hmm there's still a surprisingly noticeable amount of red/green chroma noise.
to my view its noisiest in the Red (Green being pretty clean), but that noise in the Red combined with the relative cleaness of the Green channel (of which Bayer gives us twice as many) makes it more obvious.

@Jared Jimenez ,Given you're stacking and such why did you go as high as 6400?

Jared Jimenez

Mu-43 Rookie
Hmm there's still a surprisingly noticeable amount of red/green chroma noise.
Yeah. It's only 6 stacked pics though. And at different ISOs. And 120sec exposures. I think that is what is mainly contributing to the chroma noise. I really shouldn't be doing anything over 60sec with my camera. I'm hoping to get some shots next week. I think I'll try 16X60sec at 800.

Jared Jimenez

Mu-43 Rookie
Hi

its pretty good ...

however to address this point:

to my view its noisiest in the Red (Green being pretty clean), but that noise in the Red combined with the relative cleaness of the Green channel (of which Bayer gives us twice as many) makes it more obvious.

@Jared Jimenez ,Given you're stacking and such why did you go as high as 6400?
I was really just messing around...I've not had a lot of experience with tracking and stacking so I was trying a lot of different things and it just so happens that one of the better ones for the stack was at 6400.

Jared

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, it also really drives home, that with the right skills and technique you can overcome many (not all) of the problems that come from the smaller sensor. I'd be happy with this shot.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom