Milky Way with astro modified EPM2

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by georgian82, Jul 16, 2015.

1. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi guys,

So I had my EPM2 modified for astrophotography and last night I did my first set of test to see how it performs and what setting to use with the 25mm 1.8 lens. This camera behaves much differently than a non-modified camera, so I am still learning how to set it up properly.

This is a single 2 minute exposure with the 25mm f/1.8 at f/4.

Beyond 2 minutes there was too much cast from light pollution, so I think I will have to invest in a filter soon if I want to get passed the 2 minute mark....

In any case, I think this looks promising considering is only a single exposure. Next, I will try to stack multiple images and see if I can get more detail out of the nebulas and also reduce the noise.

Cheers

Attached Files:

2. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Cool. Did you use a star tracker to get a 2 minute exposure? Stars seems ever so slightly out of focus, but could be the horrible monitor that I'm using at this time.

3. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    I used a homemade barn door tracker to guide the camera. After 3 minutes you start seeing some star trails but if you keep it under that amount of time it seems to work fine (at least for me).

Focusing is the hardest thing to me...I have a very hard time getting it right. I am using the EVF-4 to help me but sometimes you think you are there and you are really off...Plus, I think the focus tends to change as the temperature shifts during the exposure, but I don't know how much it affects it in the final picture.

Cheers

4. MadMarco

MadMarco Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    Guildford, England
    That's a really good first effort, do you mind me asking what the modification was that you had done to the camera? Did you do this yourself or pay someone to do this for you?

You should be able to improve by stacking images and using dark frame subtraction to remove some of the signal noise from the images. If you've got a PC, then you could try Deep Sky Stacker which I have had a lot of success with.

5. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Thanks!

The camera was modified by Brent Oliver of HyperCams and Mods and the modification consisted of removing the stock filter and replacing it with a IR/UV block filter to allow 100% of the visible spectrum to pass through. I highly recommend using him if you are considering modifying your camera. He is affordable and offers a 6 month guarantee on his jobs.

Yes, I know that I can improve the image greatly by stacking, etc, but it was just a test to see how sensitive the modified camera is to H-alpha.

CHeers